Grayson County creek - June 7th

BudB

I made a drive down to a creek in Grayson County yesterday morning. Grayson County has had several inches of rain in the last couple of weeks, and I wanted to see what that might have uncovered in one of my favorite spots. After my misadventure with sticker vines on my last visit to a creek in this area, I was armed with leg and arm chaps, but I didn't think I would need them for this spot, and sure enough, even though it's also more grown up than the last time I visited, the chaps stayed in my backpack.

There was a lot more water in the creek than the last time I was here. The water covered part of the gravel bars still, and the parts of the gravel bars nearest the water were still wet, so very dark and harder to spot fossils on, but I still found plenty. I do love this spot. Here are some in situ photos.

large.gra02201.jpg.c81d0d014e5827e7ed0c3

large.gra02202.jpg.cb5dcc4e0153b28334ea2

large.gra02203.jpg.ede05a94a7563f2cd47cb

large.gra02204.jpg.712a074e663693bbdbc2e

Edited by BudB
  • Enjoyed 1

Here is what I brought home. Besides the teeth, there was one tiny fish vert and a piece of bone that looked too interesting not to pick up.
large.gra02215.jpg.0e608ac264c7f29e839a2

Edited by BudB

Here are the Ptychodus teeth from the trip, four really nice ones, and two broken ones. I don't remember finding this many broken Ptychodus teeth in the past, but maybe my eyes just weren't calibrated for finding only the cusps of Ptychodus teeth.
large.gra02208.jpg.a89fbd2f3e341d436ac2f

I always find interesting things on these trips. Does anyone recognize this? That lower part looks like a tooth, but it doesn't look like a shark tooth, and that upper part looks more like jawbone than root. Some kind of fish, maybe?
large.gra02207.jpg.09d245b98fa6f66ce5b3f