ThePhysicist

I recently got started sculpting digitally, and with this new hammer I am now excitedly looking for nails! My thoughts turned to some of my microfossils, specifically some of my really old shark teeth. Microfossils in general are difficult to appreciate without a microscope, so I figured it would be fun to sculpt a few. My first subject is a Devonian Phoebodont shark tooth that I thought looked neat enough. Besides being some of the oldest teeth I know of (380-390 Ma), they look very different from the teeth of modern sharks (except for those of the frilled shark).

IMG_1717.thumb.jpeg.2faae4100e802df9b8d3ee7423d7dd63.jpeg

Most of the teeth are broken, but I luckily had enough fragments to get a good picture of what a complete tooth looked like.

IMG_1741.thumb.jpeg.e3abc1ce62cc338c640e667fd93b1d2d.jpeg

With these fossils as my reference I quickly squashed and shaped a chunk of virtual clay into a passable shark tooth:

IMG_2939.thumb.PNG.7c58f72d5648b0baa9938ab7b3691f04.PNG

And thanks to the wonders of today's technology, I can actually share that model directly in an interactive manner:

I didn't do so much work on the bottom since I intended to 3D print it. And after warming up the printer and waiting for 3 hours...

IMG_2046.thumb.jpg.8bf9bf54dd422b95b1795657b01b25e4.jpg

I was able to do all this in an evening. I'm hoping to do more possibly throughout the Summer as my time and inspiration allow. There are a couple of other sharks I had in mind, but I'm open to crowd-sourcing suggestions/requests.
  • I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 11

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

4 hours ago, ThePhysicist said:

With these fossils as my reference I quickly squashed and shaped a chunk of virtual clay into a passable shark tooth:

That’s really cool. How long did it take to do the virtual shark tooth?

• Thank You 1

Wow! Great results!

Very cool - thanks for sharing this with us.

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

That is awesome! Great model, and a good idea to visualize these tiny specimens

I've been wanting to get into 3D sculpture for a long time, specifically to make models of Devonian fishes but have been putting it off and haven't really made any progress despite having all the necessary software and a tablet to use specifically for that. This might finally push me to learn it.

• Thank You 1

19 hours ago, Al Dente said:

That’s really cool. How long did it take to do the virtual shark tooth?

Maybe an hour and a half. 

• Enjoyed 1

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Very cool sculpt and print!

I thought about sculpting conodont teeth some time ago but never found the time...

Cheers,

J

• Thank You 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

3 hours ago, Mahnmut said:

Very cool sculpt and print!

I thought about sculpting conodont teeth some time ago but never found the time...

Cheers,

J

I've thought of that too, conodonts may be next... ;)

2 hours ago, Misha said:

I forgot to ask, what program are you using here?

I've used blender and zbrush but this doesn't look familiar

This is an app for ipad - nomad sculpt. It seems to be working well even as I'm learning how to use it.

• I found this Informative 2

• 4 weeks later...

Next up: another Phoebodont, but from the Genundewa Limestone of NY.

IMG_2267.thumb.jpeg.fdaa7e90110a226102895cd8dba3d11a.jpeg

None of the teeth I found had cusps, so I had to take some creative liberties, though inspired from other Phoebodonts.

image.thumb.png.4d260b1bd6ee2201022a44675dd522bd.png

^ Ginter, Michał and Alexander O. Ivanov. “Devonian phoebodont shark teeth.” Acta Palaeontologica Polonica 37 (1992): 55-75.

This one took a bit longer with a total time of a few hours spread over many days. The cusps could stand to be shaped a bit more cleanly, but I'm done with it for now.
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 3

• 2 weeks later...

Cladoselache is an oft spoken of early "shark," but I didn't know what their teeth looked like. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot online that I could find that would serve as good reference for sculpting, and I sadly don't have one. I found a couple of images/illustrations of Cladoselache teeth, and used other Cladodont teeth for the parts I couldn't see. 

image.png.98584d09ccc087d8d6b36dd7f6ec6fba.png

^ via Wikipedia 

cladoselache.thumb.jpeg.ed35ff985523767a10ca005173c4956a.jpeg

^ found by Ashley Hall in the Cleveland shale

• Enjoyed 1

This is freaking awesome

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

16 hours ago, Jared C said:

This is freaking awesome

Thanks! It's kinda a niche area, glad people other than me are enjoying it too ^_^

I think prints for the previous two came out nicely:

1474943049_IMG_25262.thumb.jpeg.68ecdff24ccc39539e3f3d94de2f395c.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

"Cladodont" teeth are one of the earliest tooth styles evolution came up with for sharks; they feature a large primary (median) cusp and reduced lateral and intermediate cusps, arranged like the tines on a trident. Cladoselache is one such Cladodont, but there are other forms, and I decided to do another since they look so darn cool. The tooth I used as my model is Early Permian in age, but oh well.

image.thumb.png.6b35c1b772d0be336fe0d995a49d0363.png

I'm hoping to add a Cladodont to the collection at some point, but until then I can enjoy my artistic homage:

• Enjoyed 2