Baby Mammoth Tooth?

Rikache

Hi there everyone!

I thought I would ask for some help in properly identifying this specimen that I recently acquired. This specimen is said to be a baby/juvenile M. Columbi tooth found in North Florida. The specimen is very obviously worn and has pink patches due to algae buildup.

I’ve included several photos below: 

Front, Right, Left, Bottom, Bottom, Top (Chewing surface), Top (Chewing surface).

I’m fairly certain this is a mammoth tooth but I’d greatly appreciate a positive ID since I can’t find much information about specimens like this online. My real inquiry is identifying whether this specimen would be considered as a milk tooth and if it’s partial. From my understanding, it’s missing most of its root which would obviously make it partial, but I’ve highlighted a section in red where I would’ve thought the rest of the tooth would go. 

Thank you guys in advance! You all are always extremely insightful and I truly feel like a part of this community. Cheers!

D64C8150-4EEC-4E8F-96A4-52F92916C019.jpeg

A8CEAC01-0B3B-4F48-B7C9-3DF5F1D0094B.jpeg

B57FFF0B-B0C2-4B85-8270-CA3EA5E30D98.jpeg

CD765E93-2C99-4D7A-91E1-8B1E8AC50E56.jpeg

E4B65AF1-EE83-47DB-AB84-89112C81FA97.jpeg

51FA881A-0654-4E85-BE49-F86BF9B381A5.jpeg

EBC1625C-5C89-4EF8-AACD-B245A38A10BA.jpeg

Here is an old thread with a similar sized whole tooth.  Seems to me you have one. Nice acquisition 

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

19 hours ago, Cam G said:

Apple cider vinegar should do the trick on that algae while not harming the fossil ! Nice score.

Or just use plain old white vinegar unless you prefer paying four times the price.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Yup. distilled white vinegar has the vinegar smell but is less odorous than apple cider vinegar. As you are not consuming it, just some simple distilled would probably work best/cheapest. Not a bad idea to let it soak in come fresh water (with occasional changes) just to leach out any lingering acid when you have melted off the algae.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I Agree 1