Need help identifying if these fossils are real. Shrimp and crab!

Hiya! First time posting so please forgive me if I’m doing something incorrectly. I’ve recently gotten into fossils after previously collecting different minerals. I

would like verification for two fossils before I go ahead and purchase them. 

05574364-1596-45F7-8ECD-BB757B94BA15.jpeg

ezgif.com-gif-maker.jpg

First one looks good, but I'm not clicking on a download link for the second, I'm afraid. 

• I Agree 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

The first one seems to be a Carpopenaeus from the Cretaceous of Lebanon. Decapods have 10 legs and 2 pairs of antennae. In my opinion an artist has painted here some legs and antennas in addition.

No idea about the second one.

• I Agree 4

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

The second one looks like a Pinnixa galliheri Pea Crab from the Miocene Monterey Formation.

• I Agree 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 4 weeks later...

Does it seem odd to anyone that the crab would fossilize in that position? It's not a top-down look, it almost looks like a 2D silhouette looking from behind and slightly above... It's hard to tell from just that one photo but it just seems off to me.

10 hours ago, AlaskaNick said:

Does it seem odd to anyone that the crab would fossilize in that position? It's not a top-down look, it almost looks like a 2D silhouette looking from behind and slightly above... It's hard to tell from just that one photo but it just seems off to me.

While I see what you’re saying - if you consider the fact it was most likely completely flat by the time it was fossilized - it makes much more sense. The legs/claws also look to be broken off at the joints which would perpetuate the optical illusion. At least - in my non-expert experience.

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

The Shrimp I come across a fair amount with dealers and they pretty much all seem to be "enhanced" as in there is a genuine fossil there, quite often shell and texture to the body but then the legs and antenna are added in the same light brown that I see in your fossil. Nothing wrong with it and I think you may struggle to find ones that that hasn't happened too.

The crab I am in between the two posters above, it could well be real but once I have had a second thought about is it or isn't it then for me that never goes away. So personally I don't buy things I am not sure of! Hopefully someone will be along soon who can straighten that out for us!

56 minutes ago, mr.cheese said:

The crab I am in between the two posters above, it could well be real but once I have had a second thought about is it or isn't it then for me that never goes away. So personally I don't buy things I am not sure of! Hopefully someone will be along soon who can straighten that out for us!

I should add I have zero clue if it's real or not - just explaining that I don't think the shape of the fossil itself is particularly indicative of it being fake or not.

54 minutes ago, Meganeura said:

I should add I have zero clue if it's real or not - just explaining that I don't think the shape of the fossil itself is particularly indicative of it being fake or not.

Totally with you and like I said I can't decide either but I tend to air on the wary side of things! Mind you some of that Mazon creek stuff in the other thread opens your eyes as to what can be fossilised in the right conditions!

5 minutes ago, mr.cheese said:

Totally with you and like I said I can't decide either but I tend to air on the wary side of things! Mind you some of that Mazon creek stuff in the other thread opens your eyes as to what can be fossilised in the right conditions!

I definitely do the same - rather be 100% sure than 75%. 

Mazon Creek fossils are crazy to me. Some of the tully monsters that Ralph was posting... 

3 minutes ago, Meganeura said:

I definitely do the same - rather be 100% sure than 75%. 

Mazon Creek fossils are crazy to me. Some of the tully monsters that Ralph was posting... 

Yep tully monsters are certainly beyond weird. I mean looking at artists impressions of them they are just some fantastical creature that should be in an space adventure book or something! Not hard to see why the general ideas for its anatomy didn't catch on!

• I Agree 1

1 minute ago, mr.cheese said:

Yep tully monsters are certainly beyond weird. I mean looking at artists impressions of them they are just some fantastical creature that should be in an space adventure book or something! Not hard to see why the general ideas for its anatomy didn't catch on!

"You mean to tell me this fish-thing had a long arm with a claw on the end that was it's mouth? And it had eye stalks like a snail???" Seriously - something out of every sci-fi book when aquatic aliens are concerned.

• Enjoyed 1

1 minute ago, Meganeura said:

"You mean to tell me this fish-thing had a long arm with a claw on the end that was it's mouth? And it had eye stalks like a snail???" Seriously - something out of every sci-fi book when aquatic aliens are concerned.

I don't know why claw mouths never caught on with larger creatures mind you, pretty good idea if you ask me! Being able to belch into your pocket would have advantages too!

• Enjoyed 1

1 minute ago, mr.cheese said:

I don't know why claw mouths never caught on with larger creatures mind you, pretty good idea if you ask me! Being able to belch into your pocket would have advantages too!

Would certainly make snacking a lot easier too - you could just stick your hand in your pocket and eat. No need to take food out!

• Enjoyed 1

I am sure 2nd crab is real, we had several crabs in our collection over the time from different places of the world and this reminds me to Pinnixia galliheri, too

nice one

15 hours ago, AlaskaNick said:

This is very common preservation for that area.

Pinnixa_galliheri_01_SR_EC_07-01-04.jpeg

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

32 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

This is very common preservation for that area.

Pinnixa_galliheri_01_SR_EC_07-01-04.jpeg

Ah that makes more sense, I couldn't see from the original photo that the crab is upside down. Makes more sense, thanks.