Oregon Coast Agates

Hey!

I came across this agatized fossil coral on the Central Oregon Coast not that long ago, but have absolutely no idea how to further identify it. I did see one other thread here with a guy that had something like it but they didn't have any definitive answers yet either. 

Any ideas? This type of thing isn't common to find here which is why I'm curious to know more. 

Thanks!

D32E8ED4-2500-4179-B30C-60EDC5EA1EF3.JPG

• Enjoyed 2

Super nice!! Thanks for sharing!

Any detailed ID would be quite difficult, but perhaps not impossible. What corals are turning up when you g... these things?
Franz Bernhard

13 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Super nice!! Thanks for sharing!

Any detailed ID would be quite difficult, but perhaps not impossible. What corals are turning up when you g... these things?
Franz Bernhard

Thanks! I was a bit of a shocker to find, agatized corals are not typically found here on the Oregon Coast and there's next to no information about any here either. I was hoping for some direction to start looking. 

16 hours ago, Rockwood said:

The geometry seen here looks scleractinian to me.

Forgive me, I'm a total novice to some of these names. Scleractinian, does that narrow down an age, coral type, or both?

Thank you. 

Edited by Oregon Coast Agates
misspelling
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, Oregon Coast Agates said:

Thanks! I was a bit of a shocker to find, agatized corals are not typically found here on the Oregon Coast and there's next to no information about any here either. I was hoping for some direction to start looking. 

Forgive me, I'm a total novice to some of these names. Scleractinian, does that narrow down an age, coral type, or both?

Thank you. 

Both, to some degree. These are the type of corals that inhabit todays oceans. There is some question if they are even closely related to the tabulates and rugosans that went extinct in the end Permian extinction event. At that latitude glaciers are likely involved in it's current placement so a more precise age would depend on identification which is beyond my ability.

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Both, to some degree. These are the type of corals that inhabit todays oceans. There is some question if they are even closely related to the tabulates and rugosans that went extinct in the end Permian extinction event. At that latitude glaciers are likely involved in it's current placement so a more precise age would depend on identification which is beyond my ability.

Well I appreciate you taking a look and offering some insight! Thank you.