Southern Alberta Fossil Hunt

JustPlainPetrified

Well, it's been a while since I last posted. Covid and aging have slowed & diminished my fossil hunting buddies. I grabbed one and we blasted south for 6 1/2 hours. Hadrosaur & Centrosaur bone pieces eroding out of the Bearpaw shale layer were our focus. We found many pieces in the water. I picked up a number of pieces that seemed to be related. After bringing them home, cleaning them up and scratching my head for a couple months, I finally pieced together 18 pieces. I was able to confirm with Dr. Caleb Brown from the Tyrrell Museum near Drumheller that the pieces were most likely of a neural spine from a Hadrosaur. He did mention something that surprised me. Although you can surface pick dinosaur bone fragments and possess them, you are not allowed to glue them together without a permit. Alberta laws are pretty strict when it comes to preserving our dinosaur history. Here's a photo of my pieces. Yes, they are glued together.

20220612_161822.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 4

Nice find, mostly marine and to find dino material is pretty cool and not common.  Those finds are mostly a result of bloat depositions of  carcasses. :dinothumb:

• I Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Meganeura said:

Can anyone get a permit in Alberta?

I am not sure if anyone, other than a paleontologist, could get one. If O find more material that requires gluing, I will attempt to obtain a permit.

• Thank You 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/13/2022 at 8:32 AM, Meganeura said:

Can anyone get a permit in Alberta?

You don't require a permit for surface picking, always remembering of course that you are only the custodian of any pieces found. Also a reminder that no fossils can leave Alberta without proof of ownership gifted by the Province of Alberta.

• Enjoyed 1

2 minutes ago, JustPlainPetrified said:

You don't require a permit for surface picking, always remembering of course that you are only the custodian of any pieces found. Also a reminder that no fossils can leave Alberta without proof of ownership gifted by the Province of Alberta.

Sorry I took so long to respond.