Toe bone? Near Drumheller AB

DinoBirdNerd

Hello all.

New here, but hoping maybe someone could help confirm if my guesses are correct or if I'm way off. I found this south east of Drumheller, AB around the Red Deer river. From my Googling efforts, I'm thinking this might be a toe bone from an ornithomimid? I believe ornithomimus and struthiomimus are both found in this area, so this is my best guess. Sorry, my cell phone camera quality isn't the greatest. I could also be way off, and maybe this isn't even a dinosaur at all haha. Thanks in advance!

bone4.jpg

bone3.jpg

bone2.jpg

bone.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

I don't believe it's an oviraptoroid, ornithomimid or struthie considering the shape of your third photo

Struthie

EYoF_JWXQAYF2V6.thumb.jpeg.cebf66db906d601292d481a9c0c70f78.jpeg

Ornithomimid

Screenshot_20220613-125315_Drive.thumb.jpg.d6d8cc616c3fd6a0be72645499288583.jpg

One possibility is Dromaeosaurus given the curvature of DII-1.  If it's the wrong Formation possibly another Dromaeosaurid

626012735_Troodondigit.jpeg.dda9bb3ca8b915305f075ed61bf08517.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Thanks for the reply. I didn't even consider a dromaeosaur bone, so that's pretty cool too. 

6 hours ago, DinoBirdNerd said:

Thanks for the reply. I didn't even consider a dromaeosaur bone, so that's pretty cool too. 

This is a direct quote from the Royal Tyrrell Museum's home page regarding the collection of fossils in Alberta. If you are already aware of it, please accept my apology. It would probably be a good idea to contact them regarding your find. 

"If you live in Alberta and legally surface collect a fossil, you may keep it as custodian, but ownership remains with the Province of Alberta. You cannot sell, alter, or remove the specimen from the province without permission from the Government of Alberta.

Only four types of fossils are eligible for personal ownership: ammonite shell, petrified wood, leaf impressions, and oysters.

To gain ownership of these fossils, you must apply for a Disposition Certificate from the Government of Alberta through the Royal Tyrrell Museum’s Resource Management Program."

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

13 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

This is a direct quote from the Royal Tyrrell Museum's home page regarding the collection of fossils in Alberta. If you are already aware of it, please accept my apology. It would probably be a good idea to contact them regarding your find. 

"If you live in Alberta and legally surface collect a fossil, you may keep it as custodian, but ownership remains with the Province of Alberta. You cannot sell, alter, or remove the specimen from the province without permission from the Government of Alberta.

Only four types of fossils are eligible for personal ownership: ammonite shell, petrified wood, leaf impressions, and oysters.

To gain ownership of these fossils, you must apply for a Disposition Certificate from the Government of Alberta through the Royal Tyrrell Museum’s Resource Management Program."

Thanks, yes I'm aware of the laws for surface collecting here. I was only curious about what type of dinosaur this bone might have belonged to.