Which Trilobite Genera Survived into the Carboniferous?

Top Trilo

Exactly what the title says, I was wondering which trilobite genera survived into the Carboniferous period. 

There is this paper, Weller, J. Marvin. “Carboniferous Trilobite Genera.” however I haven't been able to find a free copy online and its 86 years old so a little outdated. . There is also this, https://www.trilobites.info/lasttrilos.htm, from Sam Gon's trilobite website which has all the Trilobite genera of the Permian but obviously doesn't include the ones that went extinct during the Carboniferous. I was going to just search for the time frame for each of the trilobite genera in the order Proetida as that's the only order that survived past the Devonian (unless you count Aulacopleurida as an order and not suborder) however I had lots of difficulty finding basic information for many genera.

As always, thank you for any help anyone gives.

Edited by Top Trilo

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

I Googled "trilobite time line" and got some decent results.

Edited by Mark Kmiecik
fix typo
  • Thank You 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

The Carboniferous trilobite genera are shown at left arrow markers.

image.thumb.png.3fc8b44a663f432aafb417e74bc73ce4.png

TEXT-FIG. 2. Ranges of trilobite genera in the Permian. Points represent known occurrences; these are placed arbitrarily in the middle of a stage where the precise
position is uncertain. Broken lines are inferred ranges. Abbreviations: Brach., Brachymetopidae; Proet., Proetidae; Arch., Archegoninae; Boll., Bollandiinae; Cumm., Cummingellinae.

Owens, R.M. 2003. The Stratigraphical Distribution and Extinctions of Permian Trilobites. Special Papers in Palaeontology, 70:377-397

• I found this Informative 5

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

42 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

I Google "trilobite time line" and got some decent results.

Thank you, I did find some good information with the search.

20 minutes ago, piranha said:

The Carboniferous trilobite genera are shown at left arrow markers.

image.thumb.png.3fc8b44a663f432aafb417e74bc73ce4.png

TEXT-FIG. 2. Ranges of trilobite genera in the Permian. Points represent known occurrences; these are placed arbitrarily in the middle of a stage where the precise
position is uncertain. Broken lines are inferred ranges. Abbreviations: Brach., Brachymetopidae; Proet., Proetidae; Arch., Archegoninae; Boll., Bollandiinae; Cumm., Cummingellinae.

Owens, R.M. 2003. The Stratigraphical Distribution and Extinctions of Permian Trilobites. Special Papers in Palaeontology, 70:377-397

Thank you for this, it helps a lot to visualize this. Unfortunately it doesn't include the genera that went extinct during the Carboniferous but it is a big help.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

The list from Owens 2003 only encompasses the genera across the Carboniferous into the Permian. There are numerous others that span only the Carboniferous. You would need to consult the following monographs in order to begin to compile a complete list. That research project will have to wait for another day! emo73.gif

Hahn, G., Hahn, R. 1969
Trilobitae Carbonici et Permici I. (Brachymetopidae; Otarionidae; Proetidae: Proetinae, Dechenellinae, Drevermanniinae, Cyrtosymbolinae).
[Trilobites Carboniferous and Permian I. (Brachymetopidae, Otarionidae, Proetidae: Proetinae, Dechenellinae, Drevermanniinae, Cyrtosymbolinae).]
Fossilium Catalogus I: Animalia, 118:1-160

Hahn, G., Hahn, R. 1970
Trilobitae Carbonici et Permici II. Proetidae: Griffithidinae.
[Trilobites Carboniferous and Permian II. Proetidae: Griffithidinae.]
Fossilium Catalogus I: Animalia, 119:162-331

Hahn, G., Hahn, R.1972
Trilobitae Carbonici et Permici. III. [Trilobites Carboniferous and Permian III.]
Fossilium Catalogus I: Animalia, 120:332-531

Hahn, G., Hahn, R. 2008
Catalogus Trilobitorum Figuris (Trilobites Carbonici et Permici, VI. Cummingellinae).
[A Catalog of Trilobites with Figures (Trilobites Carboniferous and Permian, 6. Cummingellinae).]
Fossilium Catalogus I: Animalia, 145:1-433

Basse, M. 2009
Catalogus Typorum Trilobitorum Germaniae: I. Trilobites Cambrici, Ordovicici et Silurici - saxa erratica inclusa. II. Trilobites Devonici et Infracarbonici.
[A catalog of German Trilobite Types: I. Trilobites Cambrian, Ordovician and Silurian - including the erratic rocks. 2. Trilobites Devonian and Lower Carboniferous.]
Fossilium Catalogus I: Animalia, 147:1-386

Hahn, G., Hahn, R. 2015
Catalogus Trilobitorum Figuris (Trilobites Carbonici et Permici, VII. Bollandiinae).
[Catalog of Trilobites with figures (Trilobita Carboniferous and Permian, VII. Bollandiinae).]
Fossilium Catalogus I: Animalia, 153:1-194

Hahn, G., Hahn, R. 2016
Catalogus Trilobitorum Figuris (Trilobites Carbonici et Permici, VIII. Phillipsiinae et Griffithidinae).
[A Catalog of Trilobites with Figures (Trilobites Carboniferous and Permian, 8. Phillipsiinae and Griffithidinae).]
Fossilium Catalogus I: Animalia, 156:1-373

Hahn, G., Hahn, R., Müller, P. 2019
Catalogus Trilobitorum Figuris (Trilobites Carbonici et Permici, IX. Cystispininae, Globusiinae, Proetinae).
[A Catalog of Trilobites with Figures (Trilobites Carboniferous and Permian, 9. Cystispininae, Globusiinae, Proetinae).]
Fossilium Catalogus I: Animalia Pars, 159:1-335

• I found this Informative 5

18 minutes ago, piranha said:

The list from Owens 2003 only encompasses the genera across the Carboniferous into the Permian. There are numerous others that span only the Carboniferous. You would need to consult the following monographs in order to begin to compile a complete list. That research project will have to wait for another day! emo73.gif

Hahn, G., Hahn, R. 1969
Trilobitae Carbonici et Permici I. (Brachymetopidae; Otarionidae; Proetidae: Proetinae, Dechenellinae, Drevermanniinae, Cyrtosymbolinae).
[Trilobites Carboniferous and Permian I. (Brachymetopidae, Otarionidae, Proetidae: Proetinae, Dechenellinae, Drevermanniinae, Cyrtosymbolinae).]
Fossilium Catalogus I: Animalia, 118:1-160

Hahn, G., Hahn, R. 1970
Trilobitae Carbonici et Permici II. Proetidae: Griffithidinae.
[Trilobites Carboniferous and Permian II. Proetidae: Griffithidinae.]
Fossilium Catalogus I: Animalia, 119:162-331

Hahn, G., Hahn, R.1972
Trilobitae Carbonici et Permici. III. [Trilobites Carboniferous and Permian III.]
Fossilium Catalogus I: Animalia, 120:332-531

Hahn, G., Hahn, R. 2008
Catalogus Trilobitorum Figuris (Trilobites Carbonici et Permici, VI. Cummingellinae).
[A Catalog of Trilobites with Figures (Trilobites Carboniferous and Permian, 6. Cummingellinae).]
Fossilium Catalogus I: Animalia, 145:1-433

Basse, M. 2009
Catalogus Typorum Trilobitorum Germaniae: I. Trilobites Cambrici, Ordovicici et Silurici - saxa erratica inclusa. II. Trilobites Devonici et Infracarbonici.
[A catalog of German Trilobite Types: I. Trilobites Cambrian, Ordovician and Silurian - including the erratic rocks. 2. Trilobites Devonian and Lower Carboniferous.]
Fossilium Catalogus I: Animalia, 147:1-386

Hahn, G., Hahn, R. 2015
Catalogus Trilobitorum Figuris (Trilobites Carbonici et Permici, VII. Bollandiinae).
[Catalog of Trilobites with figures (Trilobita Carboniferous and Permian, VII. Bollandiinae).]
Fossilium Catalogus I: Animalia, 153:1-194

Hahn, G., Hahn, R. 2016
Catalogus Trilobitorum Figuris (Trilobites Carbonici et Permici, VIII. Phillipsiinae et Griffithidinae).
[A Catalog of Trilobites with Figures (Trilobites Carboniferous and Permian, 8. Phillipsiinae and Griffithidinae).]
Fossilium Catalogus I: Animalia, 156:1-373

Hahn, G., Hahn, R., Müller, P. 2019
Catalogus Trilobitorum Figuris (Trilobites Carbonici et Permici, IX. Cystispininae, Globusiinae, Proetinae).
[A Catalog of Trilobites with Figures (Trilobites Carboniferous and Permian, 9. Cystispininae, Globusiinae, Proetinae).]
Fossilium Catalogus I: Animalia Pars, 159:1-335

Thanks Scott, it looks like I have a lot of work to do.

Edit: Do you know where I could find a copy of these?

Edited by Top Trilo

An alternative workaround is a keyword search [MISS. -- PENN.] in Jell & Adrain 2003 that shows approximately 150 genera.

Some of these may be synonyms and new genera have been added in the last 20 years. This should provide a good baseline.

Jell, P.A., Adrain, J.M. 2003
Available Generic Names for Trilobites.
Memoirs of the Queensland Museum, 48(2):331-553  PDF LINK

The total was 177 genera in 2012:

"All in all, our database re-groups 425 taxa in total: Mid–Late Devonian 226; Carboniferous 177; Permian 35), this stratigraphic distribution has been reviewed and updated with reference to the most recent stratigraphic framework proposed by the International Commission of Stratigraphy (Ogg et al. 2008)."

Lerosey-Aubril, R., Feist, R. 2012

Quantitative Approach to Diversity and Decline in Late Palaeozoic Trilobites.

In: Earth and Life: Global Biodiversity, Extinction Intervals and Biogeographic Perturbations Through Time. Springer Scientific, pp. 535-555  PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 4

I think I'd start by identifying all the Proetid and Aulacopleurid genera that existed in the Famennian and then checking to see which of them are found in the Carboniferous. I might also check the Frasnian, in case some haven't been found in the Famennian yet, but did make it through to the Carboniferous. 

• Thank You 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

13 hours ago, piranha said:

An alternative workaround is a keyword search [MISS. -- PENN.] in Jell & Adrain 2003 that shows approximately 150 genera.

Some of these may be synonyms and new genera have been added in the last 20 years. This should provide a good baseline.

Jell, P.A., Adrain, J.M. 2003
Available Generic Names for Trilobites.
Memoirs of the Queensland Museum, 48(2):331-553  PDF LINK

The total was 177 genera in 2012:

"All in all, our database re-groups 425 taxa in total: Mid–Late Devonian 226; Carboniferous 177; Permian 35), this stratigraphic distribution has been reviewed and updated with reference to the most recent stratigraphic framework proposed by the International Commission of Stratigraphy (Ogg et al. 2008)."

Lerosey-Aubril, R., Feist, R. 2012

Quantitative Approach to Diversity and Decline in Late Palaeozoic Trilobites.

In: Earth and Life: Global Biodiversity, Extinction Intervals and Biogeographic Perturbations Through Time. Springer Scientific, pp. 535-555  PDF LINK

Thanks again, this will definitely be of help.

7 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I think I'd start by identifying all the Proetid and Aulacopleurid genera that existed in the Famennian and then checking to see which of them are found in the Carboniferous. I might also check the Frasnian, in case some haven't been found in the Famennian yet, but did make it through to the Carboniferous. 

Thank you Adam, this is a good idea and I will see what the results bring up. 

• Enjoyed 1