June 7th, 2022 Santa Fe River unknown

Sacha

I've switched my hunting from the Peace to the Santa Fe for the balance or the summer and into the fall. I do not find nearly as many fossils, but the water remains cool and clear. I found this jaw section on one of my last trips and decided to keep it. I don't usually keep broken bone fragments, but this looked interesting. If I'm reading it right, the last molar would have been round in cross section, while the 2 adjacent molars were oval in cross section. I assumed sloth and the size is about the same as the teeth I have, but the channels are straight. My sloth teeth are all curved, so they would not fit in the channels. I figured @Harry Pristis would provide a suggestion, but invite all takers who want to try an ID.

DSCF2159.thumb.jpg.fbabad8383bfc00dbec2754d202c624a.jpg

DSCF2160.thumb.jpg.0cf1cf6dc2ee5f38f103f4b80ebc7868.jpg

DSCF2161.thumb.jpg.d569d1290462787d037fe5d1a0b303a6.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

The Santa Fe  :zzzzscratchchin:  You know , John the Santa Fe River is a looong way from Sanibel :shakehead:

I did a google search and found one of Harry's pictures,  but his has teeth... 3 of them.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Hmm . . . The Santa Fe offers the possibility of several sloths -- several megalonychids, glossotheres, and even Nothrotheriops.  I don't recognize your edentulous jaw,  but here is one of the possibles:

1268364105_slothjawNothrotheriopsB.JPG.7a52883ca6328c75fe021c9490fbb370.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Thanks Harry. I figured it had to be a sloth of some kind, but further than that was outside my capabilities.

2 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

The Santa Fe  :zzzzscratchchin:  You know , John the Santa Fe River is a looong way from Sanibel :shakehead:

Jack, it's a little closer for me than the Peace and I don't need to sit in the I-4 traffic jam every time I go. I only get a couple, usually common, things every time I go, but at least it's diggable for a good part of the summer. 

15 minutes ago, Sacha said:

Jack, it's a little closer for me than the Peace and I don't need to sit in the I-4 traffic jam every time I go. I only get a couple, usually common, things every time I go, but at least it's diggable for a good part of the summer. 

I am happy for you , John that you have the opportunity to enjoy God's country in the summertime. But even flying low, the Santa Fe is 300 miles.  I would have to get up at 2 am to sample the fossils... Nice find !!! Now go back and find the teeth... They must be laying around somewhere.  Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"