Shellseeker

Out yesterday. Hunting one of the few spots available during the summer rains.

It is mostly marine,  sharks, rays, etc.  Lots more effort for far fewer finds. Finding any bone is unusual,  and I keep everything not a rock, and sometime I keep the rocks also.. There is a rock in this photo, but it LOOKED like a bone while hunting!

IMG_6024ce.thumb.jpg.9cae393adbea87464e6725fe8ce80cde.jpg

I sort out all the small shark teeth, keeping jewelry grade and 10 of the best unbroken ones. The rest go to my hunting partner, who sells them on online. It is a recognition of all the contributions he makes to my hunting success.

There was one additional find at the end of the day that pleased me.  Took a photo and gave it to Steve. He is better at a lot of things including cleaning, polishing finds.

IMG_6022.thumb.JPEG.91e8eded5fec7ef8b4b74fa644c7471b.JPEG

A couple of almost jewelry grade teeth... think earrings.

IMG_6049JewelryGrade.thumb.jpg.9c749f48308408118c1c27549c92a9ce.jpg

I think the bone in upper right is turtle,  unusual for this location. Then this bone I recognize as marine mammal,  in this case Dolphin. Whales, Dugong, Manatee have very similar proximal ends. For any who have insights into dolphin ribs,  let me know if you agree.IMG_6026ceRib.thumb.jpg.8ed6a92b0df4f3aa5ebe95fe0bd3eb8c.jpg

I did not think it was much of a day in terms of finds early, but into the stretch,  I closed rapidly.

This is one find in the photo that excites me.  See if you can spot it before I post a separate Fossil ID thread.

• Enjoyed 4

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

It's gotta be the bone to the right of the ray dermal pieces, right? 

Some gorgeous finds regardless though!

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

Bingo  !!!,  the bone to the right of the dermals is the excitement.

• Enjoyed 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 minute ago, Shellseeker said:

Bingo  !!!,  the bone to the right of the dermals is the excitement.

I would absolutely have ended up thinking tusk or tooth if I had grabbed that - it's a really neat find, whatever it ends up being!

• I Agree 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg: