Arkona Hungry Hollow Ontario Trip

pleecan

April 1/2010... first trip of the year to Arkona / Hungry Hollow.

The water in South clay pit has drained quite a bit...

post-2446-12701724858087_thumb.jpg,post-2446-12701725599581_thumb.jpg

still need black gum boots... in places the soft mushy ground grabs onto the boot cause one to walk right out of boot... Arkona is definitely open to collectors....

Day's haul of assorted goodies...post-2446-12701726895471_thumb.jpg

Pyritized Goniatites

post-2446-12701727766498_thumb.jpg, post-2446-12701728400636_thumb.jpg, post-2446-12701728874768_thumb.jpg, post-2446-12701729338608_thumb.jpg, post-2446-12701729828321_thumb.jpg, post-2446-12701730658434_thumb.jpg

Button Coral:

post-2446-12701731648805_thumb.jpg

Pyritized Crinoid Stem:

post-2446-12701732258447_thumb.jpg, post-2446-12701732910736_thumb.jpg

Arkona Hash:

post-2446-12701733643935_thumb.jpg

Pyritized Cephalopod

post-2446-12701738018765_thumb.jpg

Edited by pleecan
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Bunch of neat stuff; of course the Goniates are very neat, and the "hash" is too cool for words (one of my favorite weaknesses), but the pyritized Crinoid Stems are (to me) a lovely surprise!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Peter, I agree with Auspex, the matrix is really cool.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thanks John... I place the Arkona hash in a ultasonic bath for 6 minutes and it removed all the clay bits leaving a clear crisp 3D tentaculites exposed.... sonic cleaning methods.

post-2446-12701748568306_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12701749705015_thumb.jpg

Looks like you had a good trip, Peter!

Did you hit all the spots, or focus on one area? I'm thinking the tentaculites came out of the north pit?

Tim

Just PM you. Start out in the South Pit then to North Pit... walked along the north shore to high bank when I left behind my sledge hammer. Tentaculites... south pit.

Peter

Love the Pyritized fossils, can't wait to get into those pits at the end of the month. Would love to meet you up there if your in the area.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

That would be great Shamalama... I believe that Northern Shark /Crinus are also planning to converge on Arkona... don't forget your black rubber boots as it can get real muddy and be prepare to crawl around in the muck on all 4's to find the tiny glittery fossils (smallest goniatite is about 1 mm) .... shoot me a pm when you plan to be at Arkona/ Hungry Hollow... an I will try to fit it in my schedule to be there a Sat or Sun.... looking forward to Dundas Quarry in May.

Peter

Hey Peter that is some pretty cool stuff you've got there from Hungry Hollow. I really like those Tentaculites pieces. Looks like you guys out east have some super collecting sites.

Hey Palaeopix:

The majority of my quarries that I fossil hunt have now closed to collectors.... not really that many places to collect.... we are very fortunate to have still Arkona/ Hungry Hollow... this is my 3rd visit.... I also have fun collecting there ..... it is a 400km round trip for me.... I will keep an eye out for more tentaculites.

Peter

Hey Palaeopix:

The majority of my quarries that I fossil hunt have now closed to collectors.... not really that many places to collect.... we are very fortunate to have still Arkona/ Hungry Hollow... this is my 3rd visit.... I also have fun collecting there ..... it is a 400km round trip for me.... I will keep an eye out for more tentaculites.

Peter

That's too bad that sites are being closed down to collectors. One of my favorite sites is closed because someone has a mineral lease on it. That trip was about 1300km round trip (I used to do it every other year).

Dan

Those are very cool! Hope to get my hands on a pyritized trilobite one of these days :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Those are very cool! Hope to get my hands on a pyritized trilobite one of these days :D

Me too! A golden trilobite... dreams do come true.

PL

I heard "Golden Trilobite" and woke up!!!

PL great trip! One of these days our schedules will work out and I'll hit it with you.

I heard "Golden Trilobite" and woke up!!!

PL great trip! One of these days our schedules will work out and I'll hit it with you.

Thanks Plac... hope to see you some time at Hungry Hollow.... any idea if these are placoderm teeth?

post-2446-12706824036642_thumb.jpg

post-2446-1270682444781_thumb.jpg

400 km round trip, oy!

Dunno if you've learned this or not, but don't put the pyritized bactrites or tornoceras into your ultrasonic... bad things result. As for placoderm teeth, I'll leave that ID to the experts, I can't tell much from the photos. Teeth of any kind are very, very rare there.

Blastoid

Some great finds there, Peter, especially to me those pyritized Goniatites.

All those fossils are beautiful. Are all the fossils found there pyrite?

I love pics of where people actually hunt.

Welcome to the forum!

400 km round trip, oy!

Dunno if you've learned this or not, but don't put the pyritized bactrites or tornoceras into your ultrasonic... bad things result. As for placoderm teeth, I'll leave that ID to the experts, I can't tell much from the photos. Teeth of any kind are very, very rare there.

Blastoid

Thanks for the tips Blastoid... got to be careful about the ultrasonic cleaner... I did have a couple of fossils turned to dust.... shaken apart. Hope to see you sometime at Arkona.

Peter

Some great finds there, Peter, especially to me those pyritized Goniatites.

All those fossils are beautiful. Are all the fossils found there pyrite?

I love pics of where people actually hunt.

Hi Roz:

Thanks ... The majority of fossils there +95% are not pyritized.... I like pyritized stuff because they are like little jewels... captured in a moment on digital media before pyrite rot sets in.

Peter

Back to Hungry Hollow April 11/2010 Trip:

post-2446-12710365300014_thumb.jpg

It had rain during the night... ground was sogging.. walked around in rubber boot, sun was out and the temperature warmed up... T shirt weather.

This is a pic of the haul of the day:

post-2446-12710693572431_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12710693919765_thumb.jpg

The river is high and the current swift... so I hanged around the clay pits ...found some interesting stuff....

2mm Fully Pyritized Trilobite Hypostome

post-2446-12710372459796_thumb.jpg

Beautiful Pyritized Goniatite: Tornoceras arkonense

post-2446-12710373707474_thumb.jpg

Semi Pyritized Greenops Cephalon:

post-2446-12710375256437_thumb.jpg

Edited by pleecan
  • Enjoyed 1

Oh, the Goniatite is just a gorgeous fossil :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!