Arkona Hungry Hollow Ontario Trip

pleecan

if you had a transporter why not just transport out all the fossils, no need to go there, no need to prep. :P

But seriously thanks for posting those pics, just breathtaking.

Thanks.

The hunt for the fossil is where all the fun is to be had... the adrenaline of discovery that Eureka moment in time can be addictive... there is so much intricate microstructures present in 3D that one can endlessly explore ... all the pics come from a single fossil plate.... the higher the magnification the more intriguing the fossil scape becomes..... great to be able to share these pics for those who care to view.... glimpse into a window into Devonian times....

PL

Edited by pleecan

Hey Peter,

the material from Hungry Hollow continues to amaze me. You are very lucky to be so close to such an outstanding and prolific Devonian site. As always the hash plates mezmerize me with their abundance of fossilized goodies. That enrolled Phacops is such a gem too!

Dan

Thanks Roger and Dan.... the degree of presevation of Arkona is still amazing... I am still on the hunt for a pyritized worm or a complete phyllocarid, complete placoderms.... or a complete eurpyterid would be nice.

PL

• 8 months later...

Hi

New to this forum, I would love to know who to ask to visit this site. I really would love to get my kids into fossil hunting.

Pete

Hi

New to this forum, I would love to know who to ask to visit this site. I really would love to get my kids into fossil hunting.

Pete

Arkona, is open access you do not have to ask anyone permission. You just need to be respectful to the site. Haul your garbage out, don't block the road when you park and don't block any drive ways if you go to the South pit. At this time of year there are people there on most weekends. The site is not that friendly to really young children. there are some very steep inclines on the river banks and at the north pit.

The best area for children might be on the north bank of the river about 200 meters right of the old bridge foundations. This is to the left down a slope just as you park your car. You should see a trail there. You know you are going down the correct trail if you see the old rusted out garbage can. Follow the trail near the river to the right untill you come to the banks that are about 80 feet high. Lots of common fossils right on the ground (easy for kids to find). Trilobites, corals, brachs can be found there. Complete trilobites are rare. Take lots to drink, sun screen and bug spray.

Well said Malcolm... Arkona is one of the riches fossil deposits in Ontario!

PL

Arkona, is open access you do not have to ask anyone permission. You just need to be respectful to the site. Haul your garbage out, don't block the road when you park and don't block any drive ways if you go to the South pit. At this time of year there are people there on most weekends. The site is not that friendly to really young children. there are some very steep inclines on the river banks and at the north pit.

The best area for children might be on the north bank of the river about 200 meters right of the old bridge foundations. This is to the left down a slope just as you park your car. You should see a trail there. You know you are going down the correct trail if you see the old rusted out garbage can. Follow the trail near the river to the right untill you come to the banks that are about 80 feet high. Lots of common fossils right on the ground (easy for kids to find). Trilobites, corals, brachs can be found there. Complete trilobites are rare. Take lots to drink, sun screen and bug spray.

Awesome, thanks for the reply.

Pete

• 1 year later...

If someone who "knows" fossils is going back up to Arkona pits to dig for fossils, plese let me know. My sister and I both love digging and would love to meet an expert (even an amature expert) on the subject. We live right in Arkona so short notice is fine! Have hammers, will travel!

~Lise MacFadden - Arkona, Ontario, Canada

A number of us on the forum here go there a few times per year. Pleecan on the forum probably goes there more than any of us and is fairly knowledgeable. It is alsways a good thing to go there with someone that has a bit of expertise, it can make a huge difference. I generally try to get down there in late March or early April before the plants get growing as it makes hunting the banks a whole lot easier. It is always a bit of a gamble at how muddy it will be there. It can be real nasty there at times. For me coming from Mississaga it is a 3 1/2 hour drive if all goes well so I only tend to go when I am sure the weather will be good.

If you send me a PM I will try to let you know next time I am going (likely April at the latest)

• I found this Informative 1

There are plenty of folks on this forum who visit Arkona regularly. Most of them are very well versed on what you can find there. I'll be back there in the late spring sometime but I'll bet someone will contact you before then.

• I found this Informative 1

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/