Arkona Hungry Hollow Ontario Trip

pleecan

Yeah, I'd put that in FOTM since it's fairly rare.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Nice finds, Peter!

That Hypostome is pretty cool -- good eyes finding that.

Tim

Thanks Tim...It is my first time seeing a pyritized hypostome... the glitter in the sun light helped ... so did the rain fall shortly before the sun came out.

Exposed by the rain.... Disarticulated Fragile Trilobite fragments dangled from the clay beds (too fragile to prep):

post-2446-12712033855739_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12712034338241_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12712035735025_thumb.jpg

post-2446-1271203670729_thumb.jpg

Edited by pleecan

Hungry Hollow April 18/2009 trip...

South Pit:

post-2446-12716404769268_thumb.jpg

Entrance to North Pit:

post-2446-12716405515885_thumb.jpg

North Pit:

post-2446-12716406148659_thumb.jpg

Au Sable River:

post-2446-12716406954056_thumb.jpg

Cephalopod:

post-2446-12716411182994_thumb.jpg

Goniatite:

post-2446-12716412069651_thumb.jpg

The Goniatite is really drool-worthy :wub:

I would love to know more about the cephalopod; it seems unusual to me.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Peter,

Your trying to clean the pits out before I get there, aren't you? :P

Another nice Goniatite! Do you have a wider pic of the Cephalopod? I think that is actually part of a Pelecypod, possibly a Leiopteria Like this one.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Peter,

Another nice Goniatite! Do you have a wider pic of the Cephalopod? I think that is actually part of a Pelecypod, possibly a Leiopteria Like this one.

Shamalama... you may be right! I will post a picture when I get home... there is a brown shell like mass to the south of the horn like structure... I thought they were separate entities but apparently not.... thanks for suggesting a more correct ID.

I found above Goniatite at the parking area near the entrance to North Pit.... I also found a very nice goniatite from the North Pit but it slipped out of my hands and landed in the crack of mud/clay plates... lost to the clay pit. I have found Goniatites in both South Pit, North Pit, and along where you park the cars on Fossil road prior to the North Pit entrance.

Michigan Tim found some really nice Tornoceras along with 2 nice greenops in matrix in Arkona/Widder formation that day.

Peter

Edited by pleecan

The Goniatite is really drool-worthy :wub:

I would love to know more about the cephalopod; it seems unusual to me.

Thanks Auspex. Shamalama suggested a more accurate ID ... it may be Leiopteria... I will take a photo with a regular camera tonight when I get home.

Peter

Peter,

Dave: Here is the photo of that strange looking cephalopod... think you are right closer to pelecyod.

Peter

post-2446-12717166439076_thumb.jpg

3/8" Enrolled Trilobite... sticking out of the clay fully intact as found from the North Pit.

post-2446-1271718700315_thumb.jpg

Interesting Close Up of Trilobite Cephalon show detail lens/ compound eye... Helicon Processed Image.

post-2446-12717208164877_thumb.jpg, post-2446-12717208713731_thumb.jpg

Edited by pleecan

Dave: Here is the photo of that strange looking cephalopod... think you are right closer to pelecyod.

Peter

post-2446-12717166439076_thumb.jpg

Yep, that indeed looks like a Leiopteria to me. The odd thing is it looks like just a skin of the shell, no real impression. Odd.

Thanks for the tips on where to look!

-Dave

Arkona Hash Plates:

Plate A=3"x2"

post-2446-12719028397887_thumb.jpg

Plate B= 1"x 1"

post-2446-12719029275129_thumb.jpg

Plate C= 2"x1"

post-2446-12719030125658_thumb.jpg

Plate D= 2"x1.5"

post-2446-12719032305342_thumb.jpg

Plate D=Flipside

post-2446-12719033092084_thumb.jpg

Plate E=3"x2"

post-2446-12719034004874_thumb.jpg

Plate F=2"x1"

post-2446-1271903476757_thumb.jpg

Edited by pleecan

I like plate D!

Waiting on a lens mount flash -- the Greenops I found are tiny, and I'm getting a shadows...

more soon...

Tim

Nice plates, is that Widder formation?

-Dave

I like plate D!

Waiting on a lens mount flash -- the Greenops I found are tiny, and I'm getting a shadows...

more soon...

Tim

Hi Tim:

Shadows are sometimes a good thing as it will bring out relief on the fossil giving it a 3D effect.

Just use an ordinary table lamp with a 23 watts CFL spiral wound bulb (white light)( equivalent to 100watt bulb output) ( Cool light= 6000 Kelvin) as oppose to soft light which give an orange/yellow light at 5000Kelvin and your shadows will disappear... I rarely use the flash on the camera when taking macro... all external lamps for lighting.

Peter

Nice plates, is that Widder formation?

Yes... Widder Formation that sits ontop of the Arkona Shale that had been eroded and fell into the Arkona Shale layer.

Yes... Widder Formation that sits ontop of the Arkona Shale that had been eroded and fell into the Arkona Shale layer.

Sorry pleecan, but the crinoid hash layer comes from the Arkona Formation. These pockets of hash are the bases for the crinoid pockets. Here are a couple of photos showing the shale with the hash layer and crinoids on top.

crinus

post-391-1271957559994_thumb.jpg post-391-12719576042669_thumb.jpg

Hmmm... so find the crinoid hash and you just may find whole crinoids on top?

-Dave

Sorry pleecan, but the crinoid hash layer comes from the Arkona Formation. These pockets of hash are the bases for the crinoid pockets. Here are a couple of photos showing the shale with the hash layer and crinoids on top.

crinus

post-391-1271957559994_thumb.jpg post-391-12719576042669_thumb.jpg

Thank you Crinus for the clarification.... I found these on surface in the south clay pit... so these must be refered to what some people called crinod lens formation in the Arkona shale formation are the tentaculite plates from the Widder Formation then or are they from the Arkona Formation also.

PL