Arkona Hungry Hollow Ontario Trip

pleecan

I used an ultrasonic bath to sonicate the clay off the hash plates. Very nice finds Tim!

Peter

Edited by pleecan

Thanks, Micropterus.

I feel the same way looking at your stuff!

The hash plate out of Arkona really are something. I can't believe the color in Peters.

Tim

May 1 trip... Crinus, Shamalama, Northern Sharks and Pleecan headed out to Arkona. The weather at first did not cooperate and poured rain making the clay pits a bit too slippery in my rubber boots....

post-2446-12728005225418_thumb.jpg,post-2446-1272800544165_thumb.jpg,post-2446-12728005590239_thumb.jpg

I was ready to quit. I was in the South pit and rest of the gang had arrived earlier and were exploring the North Pit / Shoreline....

I can see their cars parked across the river...

post-2446-12728005755253_thumb.jpg

They met me in the south pit and we left for the high banks...in search of trilobites... lots of disarticulated heads and tails... hiking to the highbank was a struggle ... the high humidity after the rain...swet was pouring out... lot of flying insects and not much of a breeze... I did not feel that well ... feeling a bit light headed.... and realized that I was suffering from dehydration and the the water was still in the car... I left the area early... got back to the car and rehydrated and had a late lunch.... rested a bit and then head home for that 200km drive .... Since I collect tiny fossils... the bulk of the material was in 2 egg cartons.... the first carton contain some Arkona Hash plates the second carton contained trilobite parts, one nice pyritized goniatite, button coral, crinoid stems etc...2/3 of the collecting was in that egg carton... I got no pictures as the 2nd egg carton must have fell out of my shallow white pail as I was heading home hiking through the brush along the Au Sable river.... real bummer as my 2nd egg carton is still at Arkona.... It was still a good trip as I got to me the gang in person, still got my important hash plates.... we all had a good time....I will let the gang tell their story when they get back from their 3 day fossil trip... today I am resting while the rest of the gang is at JD quarry.

PL

Edited by pleecan

Fortunately was able to bring back a few Tentaculite plates....

Image taken Sigma SD10 Foveon DSLR with 50mm Sigma Prime focus Marco Lens that is super sharp in resolution.

post-2446-12728428252397_thumb.jpg

Nice find, Peter!

Sorry to hear about your lost fossils.

Getting to that south bank is definitely a challenge.

Looking forward to hearing more about the trip.

Tim

Detail Trilobite Cepholon with compound eye exposed... Helicon processed images.

post-2446-12728462649618_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12728463275714_thumb.jpg

Nice find, Peter!

Sorry to hear about your lost fossils.

Getting to that south bank is definitely a challenge.

Looking forward to hearing more about the trip.

Tim

Thanks Tim... still had a good time with gang....

We went back the the high bank where you collected during the last trip... did find lots of Greenops parts ... heads and tail... both Northern and Shamalama may have a complete trilos.. Crinus found some neat non trilobite material.... they will probably post their goodies when they get back from their trip.

Peter

Edited by pleecan

Great finds and photos, Peter. ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

You should have told me you needed water, I had extra in my pack! Besides, you could have taken a dip in the river and cooled off very quickly. I washed my hands in the river a few times and put water on my neck to help cool off. When your feeling overwhelmed by the humidity you gotta rest and cool off. The humidity lifted some as the day wore on and we found some great stuff. I'll post a report soonly.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Hey Shamalama... Had a bout of heat stroke and dehydration... was able to recognize the symptoms and was able to get to the car to rehydrate and rested a while before heading home.... I still had a great time fossil hunting with you and the gang and look forward to your report and finds.

Peter

Arkona Crinoid Hash Plate.... part of " Crinoid Lens" 4" x2.5" roughly. Images captured with 10 megapixel Foveon Camera outputed in RAW format, processed with Sigma software to jpg conversion... each of the dozen frames processed and stacked with Helicon Focus 5.1 software.

post-2446-12734480385236_thumb.jpg

Edited by pleecan

Arkona Crinoid Hash Plate....

Wow.... :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Peter,

I'm seriously concerned that you're going to over collect all the available Arkona hash plates if some kind of limit is not placed on you....

;)

Edited by michigantim

It is amazing that I had ignored Arkona for the last 6yrs till Nov 2009 when Northern Sharks comvinced me that Arkona was worth visiting... as all my favorite quarries closed and ran out of places to hunt.

Peter

Peter, How big are the plates that you are finding? I found only a few small plates with any Tentaculites on them.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Peter, How big are the plates that you are finding? I found only a few small plates with any Tentaculites on them.

Majority of the plates with tentaculite are under an 1"..... most are 1/4' to 1/2". I have only found only 2 crinoid plates... less than 1" an then at large 2.5" x 4" ( my biggest plate).

Peter

Flipside to the above crinoid plate...

post-2446-12735427258058_thumb.jpg

Looks like the bowl of cereal I had for breakfast :P

Beautiful plate :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

super-cool hash plates and photography of them. very interesting stuff.