Impromptu Construction Site Hunt. Grayson Marl and Pawpaw Formation

Mikrogeophagus

Following a refreshing swim at the lake with a few friends over the weekend, I decided to take a spur-of-the-moment stop at a construction site I happened to be driving by. The sun was setting, cooling the area and finally making it hospitable despite the recent heat wave. I was not familiar with the exact geology of where I was, but with only an hour and a half of daylight left I decided to not waste too much time and immediately began scouring the dirt.

I quickly noticed that the ground was composed of two distinct formations. The higher layer was a grey limestone while the layer underneath was bright red and filled with a wide range of greens and yellows among other colors. It was only until I got home that I realized these were the Grayson Marl (/Mainstreet limestone?) and Pawpaw formation respectively. My first find was an unexpected, but welcome one. Coming from the grey rock, I noticed a rounded form that stood out against the jagged terrain surrounding it. After prying it out, I was surprised to find that it was indeed a large nautilus (A). Not too long after, I found a couple more that were in slightly worse condition. Continuing my search in the greyish area led me to later find a chunk of Mariella heteromorph ammonite (B) as well. I particularly like this specimen as it is interesting to compare it with my Mariella micromorphs from the Waco Pit and other locations. I also managed to snag a few pretty little brachiopods (C). I have a really difficult time differentiating between brachiopods so my ID for them is a bit iffy, but for now I'll go with Kingena wacoensis. 

The cool thing about this site is the fact that it sits on the border of two very distinct formations. As a result, one can find a wide variety of fossil life. The rest of the things I brought home from this trip were found in the red Pawpaw formation. For whatever reason, Texas loves to produce pyritized micromorphs. I was surprised to come across a multitude of ammonite genera with that classic bronze coloration I've come to be all too familiar with. I found a few un-pictured fragments of Mariella and other ammonite pieces. I was also able to pocket a few chunks of my favorite ammonite, Engonoceras (D). I didn't really capture its beauty well on camera, but something about the way light bounces off of the broad reflective shell is mesmerizing. I hope to one day come across a complete one. To round off the hunt, I found one last slightly enigmatic specimen (E) that came out of the Pawpaw. Its a big rock with lots of holes running in and out of it. The holes are covered with countless tiny divots. My guess is they are what's left of some crustacean burrows as they bear some resemblance to the poopy burrows I have seen elsewhere online. Some of the burrows have crystallization.

Here are the finds:

A). A large nautiloid and a smaller one coming from the Grayson Marl. I believe them both to be Cymatoceras. There is some extra matrix on the outside that I am debating on chiseling off. 

IMG_0858.thumb.JPG.3c140920b70e9d300593fdbe7ad57e99.JPGIMG_0861.thumb.JPG.c8e174a36c510ecb6ef4381eaa7edbb9.JPGIMG_0862.thumb.JPG.8c03dc264dd2ee1b1454eeee8dab01fc.JPG

IMG_0859.thumb.JPG.10f27f8904aed1b4287be6bf8ed0569a.JPGIMG_0860.thumb.JPG.ffae5118ba744b12a06f20d8ee78db6b.JPG

B). A fragment of Mariella heteromorph ammonite from the Grayson Marl.

IMG_0863.thumb.JPG.236bf80aabca5fa662934289890a3436.JPG

C). Kingena wacoensis? from the Grayson Marl. They have some nice detail!

IMG_0868.thumb.JPG.d9706edeaafd76a1a0a74e43c706b71c.JPGIMG_0869.thumb.JPG.608aa39b3ebb8a72d33729086b751654.JPG

D).  Pyritized Engonoceras fragments from the Pawpaw Formation.

IMG_0867.thumb.JPG.f699961c79db4396f35166a594980784.JPG

E). Crab burrows from the Pawpaw? 

IMG_0864.thumb.JPG.4274065b2415d66ad2dc1817bf120121.JPGIMG_0865.thumb.JPG.8e39ae88c6560f97d970a9b48849e679.JPGIMG_0866.thumb.JPG.950a3667e93b9ea78ccbe24ec95ff213.JPG

All in all, I'm glad I made a quick stop at this particular site. It's a pretty interesting place with a wide variety of things to be found in a couple of formations I have only just begun to explore. I will likely make another trip there in the future!

Thanks for reading!

• Enjoyed 5

Kingena wacoensis is correct; it is very common in the Mainstreet and Grayson Formations. The Mainstreet if present, should be a ledge of limestone below the Grayson. The Grayson is a more clayey limestone, marl that easily erodes leaving behind great oysters, clams, echinoid, ammonites, nautiloids and brachiopods.

The shrimp? burrows are Opiomorpha trace fossils.

Roughly where were you in Texas?

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

25 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Roughly where were you in Texas?

For this trip I was a bit North of Fort Worth. 

Ophiomorpha is a new word I'll be adding to my vocabulary!

46 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

The Grayson is a more clayey limestone, marl that easily erodes leaving behind great oysters, clams, echinoid, ammonites, nautiloids and brachiopods.

True; these look more like Mainstreet and/or lower fossils.  

Nice finds.

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Nice finds! I was up in the DFW area this weekend too. A nice swim should have been in my cards because it was hot! Looks like the 100+ degree weather in Texas is here to stay. :SadSmile: The Mainstreet Limestone overlays the Pawpaw Formation so your nautiloid and ammonite might be from there.

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

It would be uncommon to find Grayson and Pawpaw together in absence of Mainstreet.

• I found this Informative 3

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

3 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

It would be uncommon to find Grayson and Pawpaw together in absence of Mainstreet.

Yeah this is what I came here to say.  Grayson and Mainstreet are very intertwined, especially north of Fort Worth. Most of the geological maps label the area as Mainstreet/Grayson undivided. 

• I found this Informative 2