Seashells in flint?

Thames Adventurer

Hi!

I recently found these pieces of flint on the Thames foreshore (London) which look like they have seashells in them. The banded areas are raised/textured to the touch. Are these fossil seashells and if so, does anyone know what type they are or how old they might be?

Thank you!

TA Finds 52.jpg

TA Finds 53.jpg

TA Finds 54.jpg

14 minutes ago, Lone Hunter said:

I could be wrong but it looks like banded flint.

I'm not sure about that as normally banded flint has different colours and isn't textured like these pieces are? But I appreciate all opinions on this matter.

They would be impressions of shells if so and they look like inoceramus and scallop maybe.

• I Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Lone Hunter said:

They would be impressions of shells if so and they look like inoceramus and scallop maybe.

Thank you! That would make sense.

I agree the top one in the first photo is an inoceramid impression. The other is certainly a ribbed bivalve but hard to ID much further. Both in flint from the Upper Cretaceous Chalk, roughly 70-100my.

• I found this Informative 2

Tarquin

1 hour ago, TqB said:

I agree the top one in the first photo is an inoceramid impression. The other is certainly a ribbed bivalve but hard to ID much further. Both in flint from the Upper Cretaceous Chalk, roughly 70-100my.

Thank you very much, this is really helpful to know! 

When I googled Inoceramid,a lot of pictures of a giant shellfish came up. These flints are really small, so is mine a baby one or simply one belonging to that types broader genus/species? 

Edited by Thames Adventurer

1 hour ago, Thames Adventurer said:

Thank you very much, this is really helpful to know! 

When I googled Inoceramid,a lot of pictures of a giant shellfish came up. These flints are really small, so is mine a baby one or simply one belonging to that types broader genus/species? 

They come in all sizes. :)

Tarquin