Prospective grad student with unrelated undergrad degree

Fletcher

I'm considering going back to school for an MS in paleontology, but unfortunately my undergrad degree is in linguistics and I don't have relevant credits to my name. I know admission requirements will vary from school to school, but I'm wondering if any of you have found yourselves in a similar situation and if so, how you handled it - did you get a second BS, another degree like an AS, take some biology/geology/etc classes to get credits without getting a whole new degree, something else? I will be reaching out to specific universities about this eventually, but I'd like to check in with people who've done the same thing first, if you're out there.

If you yourself haven't been in this position but have been through/are currently in a graduate paleontology program and have some insight I would love to hear that as well!

This is not an unusual question. Some of my colleagues are in Earth Sciences, and I've asked them in the past what they would advise. For them, there is no getting around earning a BSc in Earth Sci / Geology as that is considered foundational for paleo -- at least up here in Canada. In our programs, you would be competing with other applicants for limited spots who already have that BSc under their belt. There would likely be a need to be competitive enough to apply for funding, which is something that is generally done prior to the first year of study. And for that to occur, there would likely already have to be a developing research project you have in mind, and something in your educational background that lends credibility to your ability to carry it out. 

Perhaps the system differs in the US, but definitely reach out to any academic advisors at the schools you are interested in applying to and ask some of these very important questions. :dinothumb:

There are certainly a number of credentialed folk in this area on the forum who could provide you with even more information. Let me tag a few off the top of my head @jdp, @Boesse

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Geosciences is one way to go, but biology is just as good.  You will certainly need to get some background classes in either or both as part of your plan.  It may be a long but rewarding trip. 
i would actually talk to a few professors whose work you find intetesting be it dinosaurs or brachiopods or plants.  They would be able to tell you what you would need to persue your dream.

Edited by jpc

I think this really depends on what you want out of the degree.

It may be possible to find someone who will take you on as a MSc student with your background. However, some things to consider:

The MSc, like a PhD, is a professional training program. The MSc, unlike the PhD, is not really a terminal degree and therefore does not actually open a lot of employment opportunities in the field. There are some, but not many, and they are really technology-specific. So, you're going to work for 2+ years for below-minimum-wage and have very little to show for it at the end.

Even if you do find a program willing to take you, you are going to struggle with your lack of biology/geology background. An MSc is a research-based degree, not In fact, students with only geology or only biology backgrounds tend to struggle in some forms of paleo research, and you'd basically be committing to doing this with neither.

If you're looking to actually build a career in the field, you will also need to have the basic background knowledge because you will be expected to teach courses in the future, and will need that knowledge to do good impactful work. You might be able to get through an MSc without that but you will struggle to produce the kind of research that will allow you to compete for jobs. 

In other words, if you are serious about pursuing a career in the field, consider getting the undergrad training necessary to succeed. 

If what you're interested in is doing research or playing with fossils, there might be ways in which you can do this casually without actually pursuing an MSc. 

• I found this Informative 3

Thank you all for the advice! It doesn't really surprise me that a new undergrad degree is probably the way to go, but I think it helped to hear that idea presented with some more context.

A more economical way to do this might be to take key biology/geology courses via continuing ed programs through your alma mater. You might be able to get a decent deal. You could potentially also see about auditing those courses or sitting through an online curriculum. The real key here is the knowledge, not the degree. Paying for a second bachelor's degree seems like overkill.

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, jdp said:

A more economical way to do this might be to take key biology/geology courses via continuing ed programs through your alma mater. You might be able to get a decent deal. You could potentially also see about auditing those courses or sitting through an online curriculum. The real key here is the knowledge, not the degree. Paying for a second bachelor's degree seems like overkill.

With the cost of higher education - that option.  Or a community college as some specialize in transferring credits in or out at cheaper cost for degree "completion", at least in CT.  I have 2 masters from a private institution and while the second was free through work the bachelors and the first one was still a hefty bill.

*Frank*

FYI - got curious and looked it up.. From Montana State U website.

The paleontology option in the Department of Earth Sciences is designed for those students who have a strong interest in geology and biology, specifically vertebrate or invertebrate fossil organisms. The paleo-option builds on courses that form the core of the traditional geology option, while providing a strong background in paleontology through four required courses (including the paleontology summer field course) and two elective courses. All of the paleontology courses offered through the department provide upper division credits. The paleontology option provides the background needed for those seeking employment with natural history museums (fossil collections and curation). Graduate training beyond the bachelor's degree is considered essential for those seeking a career in teaching and/or research (typically a doctorate). Additionally, some job opportunities for paleontologists exist in the petroleum industry, normally for those with a master's degree. 

*Frank*

I would not recommend a degree that is specifically in paleontology. You want an Earth Sciences or Biological Sciences (typically Ecology & Evolution or Integrative Biology) degree. You want a degree where you can clearly communicate that you can do a wider range of jobs in either bioscience or geoscience. A degree in Paleo doesn't communicate that.

Also I want to note that MScs in North America are thesis based degrees and therefore should always be funded positions. You should not accept a thesis based MSc position that does not guarantee a funding term equal to the expected time to graduation (typically 2 years).