Very large & irregular flint nodule, sea sponge or burrow system?

Thames Adventurer

Hi!

I found this very large and irregularly shaped flint nodule on the Thames foreshore, London. To me, it kind of looks like the branching arms of a sea sponge, but I have heard that flint nodules also sometimes filled the shape of animal burrows and other things. It has a number of holes/handles in it. What do you think it is?

1682523202_TAFinds63.jpg

TA Finds 64.jpg

TA Finds 65.jpg

1840327959_TAFinds66.jpg

TA Finds 67.jpg

Edited by Thames Adventurer

It's not a sponge, could be related to a burrow system though I don't think anyone's sure to what extent flint nodules actually follow burrows.

• I found this Informative 1

Tarquin

11 minutes ago, TqB said:

It's not a sponge, could be related to a burrow system though I don't think anyone's sure to what extent flint nodules actually follow burrows.

If it is an animal burrow system, what kind of animal/s could have made it? 

It's quite a large nodule, being about 15 inches long

I have another question too: If I wanted to remove the outer white cortex of the flint to reveal the dark flint below, what would be the best tool for this?

I can see some banded flint peaking out from under the cortex, so I think this piece could potentially look quite cool under its natural packaging.

2 hours ago, Thames Adventurer said:

I have another question too: If I wanted to remove the outer white cortex of the flint to reveal the dark flint below, what would be the best tool for this?

I can see some banded flint peaking out from under the cortex, so I think this piece could potentially look quite cool under its natural packaging.

That's difficult and not something I've seen tried - it's dehydrated amorphous silica and very hard. You could theoretically do it with grinders and carbide burrs, something like a Dremel should work. But really good breathing and eye protection would be vital as silica dust is very nasty.

Edited by TqB
  • I Agree 1

Tarquin

31 minutes ago, TqB said:

That's difficult and not something I've seen tried - it's dehydrated amorphous silica and very hard. You could theoretically do it with grinders and carbide burrs, something like a Dremel should work. But really good breathing and eye protection would be vital as silica dust is very nasty.

Agreed.  Almost any attempt to remove the 'cortex' or 'skin' will be a destructive process.  It's possible that sand blasting at lower pressures could work.

• I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

3 hours ago, TqB said:

What happens if you breath in silica dust? 

2 minutes ago, Thames Adventurer said:

What happens if you breath in silica dust? 

Silicosis

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

12 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Oh, I had no idea! I'll be very careful if I attempt this then. Thanks for letting me know!