Help to identify - Manchester, UK

Paul ward

Was hoping someone could tell me what this is.

I found it near a landslide at my local river Manchester UK, it really looks like some kind of petrified wasp nest to me, it's rock hard and maybe it could be some kind of shell? Any help appreciated thanks.

20220617_150807.JPG

20220617_150812.JPG

20220617_150826.JPG

20220617_150846.JPG

20220617_150751.JPG

• JohnJ changed the title to Help to identify - Manchester, UK

I am at a loss on this one. I have not the first clue.

It could be a fossil, but it could also just be geologic in nature.   :headscratch::shrug:

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Possibly some kind of shell is what I have thought as well but it seems the wrong shape for oyster.

31 minutes ago, HuckMucus said:

I'm getting a burl vibe.

Maybe, but the small hole really reminds me of the entrance to a wasp nest.  But I don't see any way a wasp nest could be preserved.

• I Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Paul ward said:

Maybe, but the small hole really reminds me of the entrance to a wasp nest.  But I don't see any way a wasp nest could be preserved.

I see old burls around my place that have holes like that.  I'm no tree expert, but I've always assumed those where just the places where branches used to want to, or actually did form.  They just broke off or rotted out.  I just google-imaged "burl" and found several that remind me of what you have.  I'm in no way saying that is what you have.  It just looks a lot like what I've found, only I've never found one petrified.

• I Agree 1

It looks like a small and eroded Stromatolite fossil to me, like this: https://fineart.ha.com/itm/fossils/pre-cambrian/stromatolite-fossilconophytum-spprecambrianmontana-usa/a/8029-72051.s

Stromatolites are basically colonies of photosynthezing cyanobacteria which build up in layers of rocky concretions over time as they fuse together minerals together to form a base in their colonies. They're some of the oldest organisms on the planet and can leave some pretty weird looking fossils, especially depending on what angle you view then at and how they erode. They tend to build up in lots of layers that can create bumpy organic shapes like this and come in all sorts of sizs (so that's my theory). Also, there's quite a lot of Stromatolite fossil sites across the UK, such as the Purbeck Formation in Dorest: 

https://wessexcoastgeology.soton.ac.uk/Fossil-Forest.htm

lf.jpeg.jpg

• I Agree 1

Thanks a lot that looks a lot like it.

WOW that's amazing thanks a lot for your help.