Anyone know of a friendly Geology forum?

Tr0xy

I have been on a few geology forums recently looking to post some pictures for ID help.  Some of the other posters on those sites received replies with snark and sarcasm. To be fair my experience is just a small snapshot im sure, but I really haven't seen that on this site.  Everyone seems helpful and informative so far. Anyone know of a similar geology site that encourages learning? Thank you!

Edited by Tr0xy
  • I Agree 1

First, try posting something in our rocks and minerals section? If we can’t help you try Mindat. Have you tried Mindat? Pay attention to their suggestions for posting. You need to have good photos and information just like here. 

• I Agree 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Mindat is a good one.

• I Agree 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

1 hour ago, DPS Ammonite said:

First, try posting something in our rocks and minerals section? If we can’t help you try Mindat. Have you tried Mindat? Pay attention to their suggestions for posting. You need to have good photos and information just like here. 

I didn't know there was a rocks and minerals section here. I'm still leaning to navigate Fossil Forum. Yes, I will definatly follow the posting rules if I post anything. Thank you! 

Edited by Tr0xy

2 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Mindat is an amazing resource. I haven’t yet discovered the rock/mineral section here - thanks for the tip. 

• 3 weeks later...

The Fossil Forum has excellent moderators. If folks here get snarky they get reprimanded or outright booted. 

They are also quick to ban trolls that show up once and a while.

And yes, Mindat  has always gotten good reviews.