Shellseeker

Out Yesterday,  Miocene Bone Valley.. Normally I find small broken and whole shark teeth, stingray teeth, barbs, and dermal denticles and an occasional prize. This was no different, The prizes were small Megs...

IMG_6057ce.thumb.jpg.1c06aeeec8acd3e2eee8a8206457468d.jpg

Almost everything has a bluish tint.. I like the FAT roots on these Megs,  and I especially liked this one which is my 1st whole Hubble Meg. I have been hunting 14 years.  These are not common.

MergeText.thumb.jpg.332411c01a223f8e741693503e4e433b.jpg

Here are some very nice Hubble Megs from Harry's Gallary

gallery_42_6_75241.jpg.32e93db5c4100e405d5d71655c309043.jpg

In additional to sharing the Meg,  a question...

Do any Sting ray Barbs not have side serrations/barbs ? Just wondering if all vistages have been worn off the bottom barb?

IMG_6057ce2.jpg.f41c3c8444309ed3e92c8314a3a1f81f.jpg

IMG_6060BarbCR.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Hey Jack, what a wonderful Meg! I have a small one too that brought a great smile to my face when I found it years ago...Just finding a meg is neat but that extra rush is v cool...wish it was a more frequent find! Glad to see getting out is still possible in places.

So I am curious to see/hear what others say about the worn fragment/possible barb. I've picked up similar pieces like that with that same splintered/polished feature and wondered the same thing and I've never broken a barb open to see if that splintered texture exists at all.   My initial conclusion that pieces like that were bone but I never went any further with looking at it under magnification/or asking anyone. Looking forward to see if there is an answer. 

Neat stuff.

Regards, Chris  

What makes a Hubbel Meg a Hubbel Meg?

Also I can confirm i've found barbs without the serrations on them, while the piece itself seemed very... not worn? Thus implying the serrations had either all been broken off, or there weren't any to begin with.

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

34 minutes ago, Meganeura said:

What makes a Hubbel Meg a Hubbel Meg?

Also I can confirm i've found barbs without the serrations on them, while the piece itself seemed very... not worn? Thus implying the serrations had either all been broken off, or there weren't any to begin with.

Well, 1st comment is that I was tired as I added this late. It is "Hubble Meg". 

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/81944-what-is-a-hubbell-megalodon/

10 years ago, I had the great pleasure of visiting the Gainesville home of Gordon Hubble for a guided tour of his Shark Museum.  That is Gordon holding the largest Megalodon found at the time.

1006879638_Picture2042.thumb.jpg.8e52ab312d3120200d1cfcecca37cd52.jpg

I think ??? he donated some of his collection to UF Museum of Natural History. @digit

I think it is a small juvenile Meg, with the "deep" V shaped root.  We'll see what others think.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

3 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Well, 1st comment is that I was tired as I added this late. It is "Hubble Meg". 

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/81944-what-is-a-hubbell-megalodon/

10 years ago, I had the great pleasure of visiting the Gainesville home of Gordon Hubble for a guided tour of his Shark Museum.  That is Gordon holding the largest Megalodon found at the time.

1006879638_Picture2042.thumb.jpg.8e52ab312d3120200d1cfcecca37cd52.jpg

I think ??? he donated some of his collection to UF Museum of Natural History. @digit

I think it is a small juvenile Meg, with the "deep" V shaped root.  We'll see what others think.

It seems it's the heart shape that makes it a Hubbell teeth? It's a gorgeous tooth regardless, I haven't yet been lucky enough to find any pathological teeth at all, let alone a patho Meg tooth!

Also wow that's an absolutely huge Meg. Ridiculous that they can get that big.

• I Agree 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

5 hours ago, Plantguy said:

Hey Jack, what a wonderful Meg! I have a small one too that brought a great smile to my face when I found it years ago...Just finding a meg is neat but that extra rush is v cool...wish it was a more frequent find! Glad to see getting out is still possible in places.

You know, Chris, it is just one of the great things about our hobby and our location.  I might find anything,  anytime... I was just going out for exercise with few expectations... beyond protecting myself from the swarms of mosquitoes who have exploded with the heavier rains.

I have found partials... 40 % or 50% of a Hubble Meg... but never whole like this. I never bought one because I wanted that thrill of finding it.

and that finally arrives on a summer hunt just as I am adjusting to the rains...

7 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Indeed. Every year (right around tax time) we get a nice donation from Gordon. I saw the stuff that came in last year--really beautiful specimens. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

Nice finds.

I do get a kick from the photo of Mr. Hubble using the fisherman’s photo tactic… hold the prize in front of you at arm’s length to make it look huge.

I also had no idea what a Hubble meg is so I looked at the link.  Seems I commented on my ignorance on this topic four years ago.  Now that I have learned it twice, I might remember.

Edited by jpc
  • Enjoyed 2