Texas Pleistocene Brazos River Vertebrate Fossil from Fort Bend County

CDiggs

Hi Fossil Forum!

I'm hoping for a little help in identifying a fossil I found recently in the Brazos River in Fort Bend County TX. I've tentatively identified it as Pleistocene in age (it's pretty well mineralized) and most likely belonging to a vertebrate mammal but have been rather stumped beyond that. I was initially thinking it could be part of a scapula but I'm now fairly sure its not. At one point I compared it to a skeletal mount of a Pleistocene camel at a local Natural Science museum and was momentarily convinced it was part of the ilium with part of the acetabulum damaged but present, however I'm increasingly doubtful. Hopefully someone with a little more experience will be able to set me straight or at least point me in the right direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0702.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg

IMG_0699.jpg

IMG_0700.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

Edited by CDiggs
Converted image file format
  • Enjoyed 1

Welcome to TFF.  It would help to see straight into the ends.  Images at right angles to the bone are best to start with... oblique views help inform the perpendicular images.  ;)

Have you compared it to a sloth radius?

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

12 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Welcome to TFF.  It would help to see straight into the ends.  Images at right angles to the bone are best to start with... oblique views help inform the perpendicular images.  ;)

Have you compared it to a sloth radius?

Apologies for the oblique shots and thanks for the advice!

I hadn't, but the only sloth I had to compare it to was Eremotherium which seemed way too large. After comparing with that mount it doesn't seem to quite match the radius even scaled up.

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0819.jpg

IMG_0820.jpg

• Thank You 1