jikohr

Hi Everyone!

I've been looking around at some potential Allosaurus teeth I'd like to buy but before I do I'd like to make sure that's actually what they are and learn how to id them, as I'm assuming the Jurassic fossil market is as rife with misidentification as the Cretaceous one.

Here's one I'm curious about, very clearly a Theropod tooth. Apparently found in the Morrison Formation of Washakie County, Wyoming and measures 1.08 Inches in a straight line measurement. So what do you all think? Is it Allosaurus? How do you know?

Is it even possible to pin a Morrison tooth on Allosaurus or is there some other obscure genus with nearly identical teeth in that formation I don't know about like a Daspletosaurus/Gorgosaurus "Tyrannosaur indet." situation?

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Theropod teeth from the Morrison Formation can be difficult to ID.  To help, can you ask the seller for a mesial & distal serration count /5mm?  Also, can you ask the seller for an image of the mesial carinae?

• Thank You 1

Like Runner64 said isolated Jurassic teeth are very hard to identify because they share very similar morphological profiles from not just the Morrison but any Jurassic Formation.   Teeth of this size are typically Allosaurus spp, Ceratosaurus sp and Torvosaurus tanneri.  Typically photos alone are not adequate to TRY to identify these teeth.  I would like to see the info requested but I will say that the J shaped profile of the base is typical of Allosaurid type teeth.  

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

On 6/19/2022 at 8:25 AM, Troodon said:

Like Runner64 said isolated Jurassic teeth are very hard to identify because they share very similar morphological profiles from not just the Morrison but any Jurassic Formation.   Teeth of this size are typically Allosaurus spp, Ceratosaurus sp and Torvosaurus tanneri.  Typically photos alone are not adequate to TRY to identify these teeth.  I would like to see the info requested but I will say that the J shaped profile of the base is typical of Allosaurid type teeth.  

Thanks! I was looking for something like that but couldn't find it! 

I sent a message to the seller asking for the info, hopefully he gets back to me soon.

On 6/19/2022 at 8:25 AM, Troodon said:

mesial serration density is 14/5 mm

distal is 12/5 mm

s-l1600 (7).jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

1 minute ago, Troodon said:

Thanks

I'll stick with my initial assessment its an Allosaurus sp.

Thanks man! This really helps!