Is this a real dinosaur egg?

Kyleontheweb

Hello,

I apologize in advance as I'm sure questions like this come up a lot.  I'm thinking about purchasing this dinosaur egg which I believe is from a fairly reputable seller.  I've always wanted a real dinosaur egg for my collection, but I just wanted to get some opinions on whether you think this one is real or a fake?  Thank you very much for any assistance!

Screenshot_20220619-013045_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20220619-013320_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20220619-013323_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20220619-013340_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20220619-013347_eBay.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Hi,

Where is it supposed to come from ? How big is it ? How old is it ? These are essential elements to identify types of eggs, provided they are real.

Coco

• Thank You 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Looks like a real Dendroolithus type egg.  Its not in the best condition, flaking in spots, not prepped as well as it can.  Some eggshell might have been reattached..

You should obtain the provenance on it, appears to be from China.

BTW, most sellers are reputable but that NEVER speakes to their ability to properly identify a fossil. 

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 1

Thank you everyone, I appreciate your opinions on this.  Unfortunately the seller doesn't provide very much information, so I have contacted them for any additional information they might have on this.  It basically just says that is an authentic dinosaur egg from China that weighs approximately 5 pounds.

This particular seller seems to be a reputable dealer of amber specimens, so they may not know very much about eggs.  They have sold a lot of items and have a number of items available, but no other eggs that I have seen.  Hopefully they do have at least a little bit more information available though so that I can consider making the purchase.  This would be the first and probably only one in my collection, so it's very important to me that it's genuine.  I'll update with any further developments, thanks again!

As an update, I did receive a response from the seller.  They had purchased a number of dinosaur eggs a number of years ago from one seller that it sounds like they believe to be a good source.  They say that this egg is from the Jurassic and is from China, but don't have a whole lot of other info about it.  Decided to make them an offer, and they accepted so I can get more detailed pictures when it arrives.

Thanks again for the opinions and assistance on this!

Well not Jurassic.  These type of eggs are typically Late Cretaceous possibly from the Xixia basin

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

Thank you, Troodon.  I will likely be making a plaque for my display with as much information as I have about the egg, so I appreciate that correction.  I'm a fossil collector, but admittedly definitely an amateur, so the assistance is great!

• Enjoyed 1

As Troodon said the egg is possibly from Xixia basin, it does look like eggs from there.  Quite typical look for eggs from Henan Province, China.

• Thank You 1

Hey guys,

I just received my specimen in the mail, and here's some fresh photos I took of it from different angles.  Also, it's approximately 6 inches long, and the whole thing weighs 6 pounds, 8.6 ounces.

20220623_142617.jpg

20220623_142608.jpg

20220623_142601.jpg

20220623_142553.jpg

20220623_142447.jpg

20220623_142423.jpg

20220623_142401.jpg

20220623_142335.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Thanks everyone!  I'm so glad everyone seems to think it's real.  That's what's most important to me, a real dinosaur egg is something I've always wanted in my collection.  :dinothumb:

Nice egg, looks better then the first pictures you provided 

How will you display it? Next to other Dinosaur fossils? 

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Phos_01 said:

Nice egg, looks better then the first pictures you provided 

How will you display it? Next to other Dinosaur fossils? 

Thanks!  Currently, I have it in a section of my cabinet with a "anchisauripus" dinosaur track from Massachusetts, a vertebrae from a struthiomimus from Wyoming, and a woolly rhinoceros bone which I believe was from Florida.

I will probably be rearranging my displays, but that's where I have it for now.

20220624_123937.jpg

Edited by Kyleontheweb
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2

18 hours ago, Kyleontheweb said:

Thanks!  Currently, I have it in a section of my cabinet with a "anchisauripus" dinosaur track from Massachusetts, a vertebrae from a struthiomimus from Wyoming, and a woolly rhinoceros bone which I believe was from Florida.

I will probably be rearranging my displays, but that's where I have it for now.

20220624_123937.jpg

very cool! thanks for sharing

• I found this Informative 1