What Is The Smallest Arcticulated Fossil Ever Found?

Mioplosus_Lover24

I was wondering if anyone ever made the claim to have the smallest articulated fossil, because I think I've got a decent shot! These are the smallest fish I've found so far. There are two Mioplosus labracoides and one Priscacara sp. 

20220619_182538.jpg

20220619_182516.jpg

20220619_182520.jpg

20220619_182514.jpg

• Enjoyed 7

"Life is too complex for me to wrap my mind around, that's why I have fossils and not pets!":tff:

Interesting question, but the world may never know, as many folks here have no idea how big a US quarter is.  Lots of international participants.  How many mm are these little guys?

As a guy who has collected the Green River quite a bit, those are nice finds. 

• Enjoyed 1

I wouldn't claim that this is the smallest ammonite ever, but it is the tiniest which I've ever found with a diameter of 9mm. Cymaceras (Trochiskioceras) bidentosum, the microconch to C.guembeli.

A392a.jpg.a0fb4fbda148477f7388af6ad0aca7d9.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I would think that someone would post some forams on this post.   But I also have some very small fish.  Even made a video of them.  Going to post it youtube one of these weeks. 

RB

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Trilobites can be very small, as well as ostracods, forams, and all other types of fossils.

I think you would need to specify a group of fossils to get a good answer.

• I Agree 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

To give an example in trilos, this is the smallest I have.
Eoredlichia sp. (0.3 centimeters). Lower Cambrian. Yunnan China. :trilowalk:

Well no, I'm wrong, I have a secret Santa gift from @Misha a small Itagnostus of 0.2 centimeters . From Wheeler Shale - Utah. :rolleyes:

IMG_20220620_212438535.thumb.jpg.476e55cc81ecb9a52f948d570ab5289c.jpg

Edited by Paleorunner
  • Enjoyed 4

1 hour ago, Paleorunner said:

To give an example in trilos, this is the smallest I have.
Eoredlichia sp. (0.3 millimeters). Lower Cambrian. Yunnan China. :trilowalk:

IMG_20220620_212438535.thumb.jpg.476e55cc81ecb9a52f948d570ab5289c.jpg

Based on finger size of about 20 mm wide, you must mean that the trilobite measures about 3 mm.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Just now, DPS Ammonite said:

Based on finger size of about 20 mm wide, you must mean that the trilobite measures about 3 mm.

Uiiisss!!! Sorry, I meant 0.3 centimeters, now I correct it....:duh2:

Does a bacterium count? About 3 microns average.

Edited by Mark Kmiecik
  • Enjoyed 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/21/2022 at 2:29 AM, Mark Kmiecik said:

Does a bacterium count? About 3 microns average.

If its fossilised, I'm sure the world is your oyster!

You could definitely find some teeny stuff in amber / copal,

The smallest articulated molluscs and brachiopods I've found have diameters of less than 2mm, they are usually around 1-3mm.

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

• 7 months later...

I know this is a late replay to the original question, but I might be the one who have tried clamed the title. In 2013 I tried to get the Guinness World Records title for 'smallest fossil vertebrate/ fish' with a Moclay Balistes SL=4.8 mm from the Eocene (Ypresian) Fur Formation.

but I got this reply from Guinness World Records

"Thank you for sending us the details of your recent record attempt for 'smallest fossil vertebrate/ fish'. We are afraid to say that we are unable to accept this as a Guinness World Records title. 

While we do not underestimate your achievement, we have heard of fossils being smaller than the one you mention in your application. Experts have discovered fossils measuring tenths of a millimetre." 

On one point i agree, there are smaller fossils out there but I stil believe  that this is one of smallest fossil of a fish or anything with a vertebra for that sake ever to have been found. The scalebar on the photo is in millimeter 

1465174394_smallfish.thumb.jpg.ee9369358eaad1710342606f9ada7e24.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

and the folks at Guiness obviously don't know the difference between vertebrate and invert fossils. 

Great little fish... and nice photo of it.  

• I Agree 4

I have some 1-2 mm agnostid trilobites from Utah. I'll see if I can get a picture tonight.

• Enjoyed 1