Possible Fish Jaw With Tiny Teeth

Roz

I found this at a Cretaceous site.

It may be a fish jaw but was wondering it it is,

anyone know what kind of fish would be likely.

I don't know my fish at all...

post-13-12702518091413_thumb.jpg

Hope that pic is good enough to tell. Had a horrid time trying

to get one you could even see.

Welcome to the forum!

Very cool Roz....don't need to know locality but is it Lower Britton?

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Very cool Roz....don't need to know locality but is it Lower Britton?

Thanks Dan, it was the kiamichi formation

Welcome to the forum!

It looks like the teeth are widely spaced, and strongly hooked; is this the case?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That is a really neat looking set of teeth... great find.

Your picture is fine... lots of details to be seen....

but if you are still in the market for a used camera... say sub $120 ,,, have a look at Ebay for a Sony F707.... these babies have laser hologram targeting, can image in the infared band, image at night, and comes with a Zeiss lens... super optics... they were like +$1000 when they first came out almost a decade ago.

Peter

I definitely see some nice teeth in there. Great find girl and I can't wait to see what it is.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

dang, roz! what the heck did you find?! that's pretty cool, and very unusual. my first thought was that perhaps it fell out of my mouth when i was up there late last year, but i'm relatively sure i wasn't in the kiamichi, because that stuff always upsets my stomach.

it's prolly rare and valuable. my thoughts are it's from a gefeltooth fish. i suggest you try to pawn it and see what you get offered. you never know unless you try.

:)

No clue, but it's pretty cool. It almost seems lizard like but I'm just throwing ideas out there :unsure:

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

It kind of looks like a enchodus jaw. It is in the right time period. And the jaw bone itself looks right, just not sure about the teeth. I don't see many teeth on the ones I do find and the one that I did find with teeth were very worn. Here is a pic of it.

post-2410-12702989968718_thumb.jpg

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

Thanks to all for your ideas.

Lance was nice enough to take better pics of it and think

they are much improved.

I think that may be a jaw but not positive although it does look

like wood.

And tracer, Mrs. tracer says they are not yours..:P

post-13-12703988715515_thumb.jpg

post-13-1270398889376_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Great picture. Those teeth are in there nice and snug and I can't wait to find out what it might be. Surely someone on this forum can give you a good idea.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

*fascinating*, captain...

that's beyond cool. the translucencsuality and the preservationalicious modalities are beyond the pale. i want it. i want it baaaaaaddddddd....

sowwy, um, what was the question again?

I think that may be a jaw but not positive although it does look

like wood.

Hi Roz : If you have access to a microscope or magnifying glass... you might be able to discern if the substrate is bone or wood based on the microstructures seen.

PL

Very interesting, Roz. Did you have a photo of the opposite side? What a puzzle!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I'm way out on a limb here, but...

...it is not completely inconsistent with Icthyornis.

This fossil needs to be looked at by someone with access to comparative material.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

The more I look at it the more I think it is a Enchodus fish jaw. Enchodus has two rows of teeth on their top and lower jaw, a row of fangs and a row of tiny teeth. In the picture I have posted you can see the two rows together. If you look close you can even see the little teeth overlapping the fangs. Obviously yours are the smaller teeth. Enchodus were the most common cretaceous fish of the Atlantic coastal plain. There are three kinds of Enchodus, petrosus, gladiolus and ferox. Which one you have I could not tell you.

Hope this helped. :)

post-2410-1270507207419_thumb.jpg

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

The only thing, Bob, is those seem much straighter, more narrow, but they are

very hard for me to see. They seemed shaped the same to you? It's possible.

Someone is looking at them now but needed more pics. If I get an ID I will post

back on here.

Thanks everyone for the good input. I always appreciate it..:)

Welcome to the forum!

I don't know. I've found a few Enchodus jaw sections, and this doesn't look like one to me. I don't know what it might be.

(I hate to say it, but it looks almost like a modern snake jaw, more than anything else I can think of)

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Slender, moderately hooked teeth that appear to have been set in grooves....

If it were on Ebay, I'd take my chances and buy it!

Where's X-man? His wife found something I'd like to compare it to.

I don't think it's Enchodus. I was thinking the same as Auspex - Ichthyornis/Hesperornis, but that seemed too good to be true. But since it's been brought up, I'll add a second vote to bird.

Roz,Fish or snake or bird what ever it is it's very cool nice find. B)B)B):)

It's my bone!!!

If it helps, Roz's jaw fossil was found in north Texas in the Kiamichi clay just a few feet above the Goodland limestone, age about 103 mya. It's definitely not Enchodus. I have a tiny Enchodus jaw that size and the teeth are like needles not curved. Also this is too old for Enchodus.

I also see according to Wikipedia that Ichthyornis, Hesperornis, and Baptornis are all too young but there were a lot more than those.

Cretaceous Birds

Edited by LanceHall

post-1313-12705690508165_thumb.jpg

Here's some Enchodus material from North Carolina. Hope it helps :D

Be true to the reality you create.