readinghiker

I'm coming to the experts once again!  This is a very strange ptychotrygon tooth.  

It appears to be P. triangularis, but it is so elliptical.  The low crown is similar to some

of Bourdon's P. eutawensis, but according to Woodward's original description, there is a

bit of ornamentation on the labial apron, which this doesn't have.  Could this simply be a 

pathological tooth? 

Thanks!

20220329_214152506.png

20220329_214227190.png

20220329_213907018.png

20220329_214128172.png

Those three sharp transverse ridges make me think P. triangularis, but I couldn't find a good P. eutawensis to compare. I'm also not familiar with the complete dentitions of either, so the lower crown could be positional? My intuition doesn't point me to it being pathological.

Edited by ThePhysicist

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

Thank you for your reply!  I'm tending to think that this tooth is simply a very lateral tooth in a P. triangularis.