Fossilized articulated hermit crab

Discover and Preserve

Hello All,

We recently took our kids to the Aurora fossil festival to "fossil hunt" though piles of material from the local Nutrien Phosphate mine in North Carolina. We brought a small amount of material home to look though and one of the kids found the attached tiny hermit crab. It looks so delicate that I have a hard time believing this is a fossil. That said, if it is a modern specimen I have no clue how it ended up in our sample of gravel? Any thoughts or help with the id would be appreciated!
Brent

IMG_6860[1].JPG

IMG_6858[1].JPG

1354970581_IMG_68651.JPG

Edited by Discover and Preserve
  • Enjoyed 1

I don’t know how it got in there but it appears modern to me…..

but lets wait for other opinions…

• I Agree 2

I have the impression that the shell is recent.

Coco

• I Agree 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

It is very rare for hermit crabs to be preserved in situ but this could be a fossil. I'd put the specimen in a shot glass of water and leave at room temp for a day or two. If if stinks after that time it's modern. If it is fossil it is a significant fossil from the James city. Perhaps one of out mollusk experts can determine if this is a James city gastropod. thinking of MikeR

Edited by Plax
corrected formation name
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2

It does look recent to me, but please let us know how it does in the smell test. It would be wonderful if it truly turns out to be a fossil. I hope so. People often pick up modern snail shells, though, believing them to be empty, and later find a hermit crab inside, often deceased. Perhaps it fell out of someone's pocket. (I was about to suggest the pocket of a young child but remembered I often have a pocket full of beach shells myself :unsure:.)   1992613388_purmittdrabsmall40.jpg.5bf618934e9bad0343f9653c94d22d31.jpg  

• Enjoyed 1

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Thanks everyone for the responses! We will try the water method and report back in a few days...

Brent

So we tried the water method and it definitely started to smell within 24 hrs. I guess somehow a modern specimen made its way into our sample of gravel from the phosphate mine... Super bummed it wasn't a fossil, but a fun learning experience for the kids none the less. Thanks everyone for your help!

Brent

• Enjoyed 1

10k years from now, paleontologists and archaeologists (if they exist) will be finding stuff in locations that will no longer perplex them.  The standard will be an assumption that some hominid dragged it around the planet to where it was found.

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1