Shark vertebrae - which shark, which time period / era?

MadRey

Hii,

I've received a bunch of fossils from my friend in USA. These fossils were all bought in a store (New York area). I understand this makes it harder to identify, but maybe one of you intelligent human beings are still able to figure it out haha

This was sold as a shark vertebrae and it measures 30x30x10 (mm). Does anyone know which kind of shark it belonged to and which time period / era it's from?

Thanks in advance!

20220623_005030.jpg

20220623_005033.jpg

20220623_005035.jpg

20220623_005039.jpg

20220623_005046.jpg

20220623_005048.jpg

20220623_005044.jpg

20220623_005051.jpg

20220623_005055.jpg

20220623_005057.jpg

Hi, welcome to the fossils forum!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but even when the locality is known, identifying a shark vertebrae to a particular species is basically impossible. 

As far as age, we need the locality it's originally from to help with that (where it was found, not where it was bought).

Possibilities off the top of my head are the latter half of the Cenozoic from nearly anywhere in the U.S. as well as the Cretaceous-Eocene of North Africa or even Europe.

• Thank You 1

17 minutes ago, jikohr said:

Hi, welcome to the fossils forum!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but even when the locality is known, identifying a shark vertebrae to a particular species is basically impossible. 

As far as age, we need the locality it's originally from to help with that (where it was found, not where it was bought).

Possibilities off the top of my head are the latter half of the Cenozoic from nearly anywhere in the U.S. as well as the Cretaceous-Eocene of North Africa or even Europe.

Aw man, that's unfortunate, but understandable of course.
I wish I knew where it was found, but these kind of stores usually have a ton of fossils in a box for a couple of dollars and never seem to know where it's from.

Nevertheless, thank you so much for your time!

2 hours ago, Al Dente said:

It looks like a bony fish vert and not a shark.

24 minutes ago, MarcoSr said:

I agree with Eric.  The vertebra is from a bony fish and not a shark.

Marco Sr.

Awh, that's kind of disappointing :[

Thank you guys so much for helping out though!