Any guesses on what it could be?

20220623_004857.jpg

20220623_004854.jpg

20220623_004848.jpg

20220623_004850.jpg

20220621_234206.jpg

Definitely not a stingray mouth piece.

Can we see photos from other angles?

Also as a general rule of thumb, I highly advise against purchasing a fossil without that information. A reputable dealer will have it on hand and prominently displayed even for the cheap stuff.

8 minutes ago, jikohr said:

Definitely not a stingray mouth piece.

Can we see photos from other angles?

Also as a general rule of thumb, I highly advise against purchasing a fossil without that information. A reputable dealer will have it on hand and prominently displayed even for the cheap stuff.

Thanks again for your help!
This was part of a ''mystery'' fossil bag which was gifted to me. I know it's annoying to work with that kind of information, I'm sorry :[
I wish I knew a bit more about it. Hopefully, these pictures will help a bit! 

20220623_031407.jpg

20220623_031413.jpg

Ah okay, that makes sense!

Hmm, if I had to guess I'd say it's a piece bone, I'm leaning toward rib but it could also be limb. I and many others have found similar pieces from Ice Age Mammals in creeks across the U.S. Of course it's impossible to say if it is Ice Age or if it's older without locality info.

• Thank You 1

If this has been identified in person as being bone I guess I won't argue against it. Something seem a little off about it to me though. :Confused05:

• I found this Informative 1

Looks more wood related to me,  how would the pattern be explained if it were bone?

20220623_004850.jpg.c523465c6f123afff327be9ada385179.jpg

39 minutes ago, Lone Hunter said:

Looks more wood related to me,  how would the pattern be explained if it were bone?

20220623_004850.jpg.c523465c6f123afff327be9ada385179.jpg

Yeah my first thought was also immediately petrified wood - it’s got the pattern and there’s no sponge-y bone texture to it. Which I know isn’t an indicator for bone always, but it’s one less thing to say that it is bone. 

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

I was going off of shape more than anything when I guessed bone. I've seen that shape many times on pieces of bone with the marrow weathered out. I kinda question it being wood though, I haven't seen that shape, specifically that thin (2 mm) and curved at the same time, on petrified wood and there is a ton of it in southeast Texas. I could very well be wrong. I'll try and find the piece of bone this reminds me of later today.

3 hours ago, Lone Hunter said:

how would the pattern be explained if it were bone?

Conceivably Hadrosaur jaw. The ridges being where the tooth batteries were.  

Possibly a gill raker from a fish?

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

1 minute ago, MadRey said:

@Mark Kmiecik, @Rockwood, @jikohr, @Meganeura, @Lone Hunter

Thank you guys for sharing your ideas on what this could be! Maybe this video will help, but not being able to hold it and seeing it in person will probably still make it difficult to ID this

That's definitely not petrified wood - but I have no clue what it is!

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

1 hour ago, MadRey said:

@Mark Kmiecik, @Rockwood, @jikohr, @Meganeura, @Lone Hunter

Thank you guys for sharing your ideas on what this could be! Maybe this video will help, but not being able to hold it and seeing it in person will probably still make it difficult to ID this

1 hour ago, Meganeura said:

That's definitely not petrified wood - but I have no clue what it is!

That's not bone either.

Could it be half of an imprint of a small Gyrolithes burrow? The "ridges" kinda remind me of the imprint of a screw shape and the texture looks like polished sandstone to me.

—Alternative behavioral cladograms of spiral burrows (for methodologic approach see Ekdale and Lamond, 2003). A) This cladogram represents an evolutionary progression with a simple vertical shaft (Skolithos) as a basal node, followed by a U-shaped tunnel (Arenicolites), development of spreite structure indicative of previous location of active burrow (Diplocraterion), subhorizontal curvature of burrow, subsequent trochospiral digging downwards (as in different Rhizocorallium ichnospecies), and culminating with high regularity of burrow (Lapispira, albeit spreite-less). B) This cladogram represents a parsimonious evolutionary progression also starting with a vertical penetrating burrow, followed by change of burrow orientation away from vertical (J-shaped Psilonichnus), ability to burrow down helicoidally (Gyrolithes), and culminating with the skill to turn around and burrow a second concentric spiral helix upwards (Lapispira).  

Gyrolithes - Wikipedia

Not a gill raker.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!