Is this a Dinosaur tooth?

TomBailey

Interesting find, it seems to have no serrations, I would lean towards a croc also. If your lucky its Spino, 

Perhaps, others here can point out what it is :dinothumb:

50 minutes ago, Phos_01 said:

Interesting find, it seems to have no serrations, I would lean towards a croc also. If your lucky its Spino, 

Perhaps, others here can point out what it is :dinothumb:

Looks very similar to croc and gator teeth fossils I find here in Florida, so I’m gonna say crocodilian!

• I Agree 1

I think there is the possibility of your tooth as being Pliosaur. I do believe they have been found there.

• I found this Informative 2
pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon

I agree. While it'd have been good to have photographs a little closer up, you can clearly make out carinae on the first photograph, so definitely crocodile. Spinosaurids, I believe, have more faceted ornamentation, and it's certainly not pliosaur. Moreover, with striations like that, I'd say Goniopholis would indeed be a good suggestion... If from the Wessex Formation, there's a small chance the tooth may belong to Machimosaurus, but for that I'd certainly need better photographs, and I also don't know whether this species is found on the IoW (it is found on the directly opposing British "mainland", though).

• I found this Informative 2