Fish jaw? ID Campanian Sweden

Anders Jonasson

Found this bone of what I think is a jaw from a fish.

Åsen locality Scania Sweden. 

Upper lower Campanian. Nearshore/deltaic enviroment. Greensand.

Bone is 6 cm long and has a row of small "sockets" for teeth?

Fish teeth found on the location is Enchodus, Protosphyraena, Pachyrhizodus... 

other finds include Tylosaurus, Clidastes, sharks, rays, turtles and chimaerids.

Happy for any help on ID. 

277561080_5339697446081611_4796150285371145377_n.jpg

277590769_5339697316081624_1011045817078815686_n.jpg

277305190_5339697196081636_3285936119508240301_n.jpg

277678741_5339697722748250_4699795569583465782_n.jpg

277553347_5339697646081591_6017664847481534236_n.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

@pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon

@Troodon

I see that You are frequent knowledgeable responders. Any ideas on this tricky piece or do You know whom to tag on the matter?

We rarely find bigger pieces of bones here i Sweden so we have to do with working with finds like this. By Swedish standards this is a good find.... :)

10 minutes ago, Troodon said:

It does look like fish but cannot say much more really not into marine specimens

Here is paper from that locality to identify what has been found.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/287799005_Late_Cretaceous_Campanian_actinopterygian_fishes_from_the_Kristianstad_Basin_of_southern_Sweden

Thanks. I have read the article. My find is from that location. Most finds are tooth crowns. I have never read about bigger part of the jaws beiing found. So I´m still trembling and since the species are found world wide I posted here. :)

No pycnodontids found,as yet?

I am assuming,as a matter of course,you have read the Bazzi thesis?

Edited by doushantuo

24 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

No pycnodontids found,as yet?

I am assuming,as a matter of course,you have read the Bazzi thesis?

We have found single pycnodont teeth. But does pycnodonts have these kind of roots for the teeth? And don´t they have several rows of teeth in the jaw?

Yah ,they do.

Superdumb question: Have you thought of the possibility of juvenile ichthyodectiform?

Would  you mind if i sent you an email regarding a certain Swedish ichthyologist(which is tantamount to a "literature request"?)

I t might be slightly outside your area of expertise,but... 

Edited by doushantuo

43 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

Yah ,they do.

Superdumb question: Have you thought of the possibility of juvenile ichthyodectiform?

Would  you mind if i sent you an email regarding a certain Swedish ichthyologist(which is tantamount to a "literature request"?)

I t might be slightly outside your area of expertise,but... 

I am just a beginner in this field and fishes is absolutely not my strong subject. :)

You can send me a message.

Here are a couple Acipenser fin spines from my collection. These are either Miocene or Pliocene from the Lee Creek Mine.

043DF370-A4BE-483E-BD8C-4367F5D5EE24.thumb.jpeg.699e5500329e4cfca44e5346d18936aa.jpeg

ADC4CD17-C360-4FC0-AFCE-A2CF59030689.jpeg

C0C2921F-D2FD-495A-8AAE-F949DB8DA45E.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

26 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

This reminds me of sturgeon pectoral fin spines.

3BEE6547-7B7B-49E1-8C1D-13BD9A94F39A.jpeg

39315216-F2E1-434E-8200-1F574B0E2FF7.jpeg

There is absolutely a resemblance. I have found bits of chimaeroid dorsal spines there.

The Campanian is post-Atlantic breakup.

An Acipenser find would be,to say the least,pretty amazing,biogeographically AND stratigraphically speaking

edit: for the record:

The acipenseroid Chondrosteus is known from the jurassic of the UK.

It has one fulcral spine preserved

B

Edited by doushantuo

We have found some sturgeon dermal plates from the Campanian here i Scania Sweden but I´m not sure about genera/species.

• I found this Informative 1

I have to come back to an earlier remark: i have looked at some Acipenser literature and i suddenly realized I had envisaged only  single migration route ,which would not

NECESSARILY have been the case.I know there might have been a transform margin between Cretaceous Sweden and Cretacous polar Russia,but its paleogeography might be poorly constrained.

B

Edited by doushantuo

20 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

I have to come back to an earlier remark: i have looked at some Acipenser literature and i suddenly realized I had envisaged only  single migration route ,which would not

NECESSARILY have been the case.I know there might have been a transform margin between Cretaceous Sweden and Cretacous polar Russia,but its paleogeography might be poorly constrained.

B

The idea of a Asia - Europe- America migration route for Ceratopsians have been discussed by J Lindgren etc "THE FIRST NEOCERATOPSIAN DINOSAUR REMAINS
FROM EUROPE" after the first find of Leptoceratops teeth here i Sweden. Perhaps that also aply on the migration of fishes.

Anders: i find it not inconceivable that,edaphically* speaking, the paleo-swedish  Campanian exhibited a variety of environments on a not too large scale

* "landscape-wise"

• Enjoyed 1

Sorry for arriving late to the party, but have been occupied with a move the entire day. Anyway, I also don't really have much to add here: the bone looks rather flaky and looks to me to be fish-bone rather than reptile. What kind of fish, though, I can't say, as I've got little experience with fishes (most of what I do have, moreover, is targetted at differentiating them from marine reptiles).

• Enjoyed 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

54 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Sorry for arriving late to the party, but have been occupied with a move the entire day. Anyway, I also don't really have much to add here: the bone looks rather flaky and looks to me to be fish-bone rather than reptile. What kind of fish, though, I can't say, as I've got little experience with fishes (most of what I do have, moreover, is targetted at differentiating them from marine reptiles).

Thanks. All help appreciated. :)