It's an egg

AJJ

What about this? Is it an egg I know the answer let's see if you do!

16561408249966713251298934446674.jpg

16561409098402904510726915111721.jpg

16561409620254208288282126390007.jpg

16561410079323402514275435123674.jpg

Edited by AJJ
Add photos

Hi,

Photos in HEIC format are not supported by the forum. They have to be transformed into JPG.

Coco

• I found this Informative 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

55 minutes ago, AJJ said:

I know the answer let's see if you do!

So what is it then if you already know? Please support your claim with scientific proof.

• I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Lets take it as some kind of contest!
Its a quartzitic river rock that suffered some spalling when going through a fire  ;).

Franz Bernhard

• I Agree 1

Not an egg. Could be a river rock as suggested by Franz, or a concretion/nodule.

Please look through these topics:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I was on the verge of never returning to this thread, the suspense was killing me.

As I (and many, many others) have said before:

Not everything (sub) spherical, (sub) ovoidal, ooidal is an egg, that is:

A biomineralized construct designed to immunologically shield an embryo while simultaneously letting it respire, an incubating structure resulting from a certain reproductive ecology and ethology, mostly produced in numbers greater than one, and probably, given the high spectral reflectance of the shell, deposited in a secure, or even cryptic, environment,

• Enjoyed 2

4 hours ago, AJJ said:

What about this? Is it an egg I know the answer let's see if you do!

Agreed that this is a river rock worn smooth and round by erosion. The outer surface has been eroded away by a spalling process called an exfoliation joint which commonly cause egg shell like flakes to cleave off the surface. This is a well known process to geologists and is visible to anybody who has been around rock formations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exfoliation_joint

You say that you know the correct answer and are hoping that we too know the truth about this object. If you too know about this exfoliation process and how it creates thin sheets that mimic egg shells then thank you for posting an interesting pseudo-fossil often misinterpreted as fossilized eggs. If, however, you were assuming this did indeed represent some sort of egg then I hope this new information was enlightening. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 3

It does but diabase is an igneous rock similar to basalt and the rock in question looks to have a much higher quartz content.

https://geology.com/rocks/diabase.shtml

https://epod.usra.edu/blog/2014/05/spheroidal-weathering-in-salt-river-canyon-arizona.html

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/a-Spheoridal-weathering-intensively-occurred-in-diabase-It-occurs-in-a-jointed-rock_fig5_285593222

Regardless of the actual composition of the rock in question, one thing is certain is that this is in no was a fossil and only vaguely resembles an egg.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

Hi,

I don't see any eggshell surface. It looks like a rock with an egg shape.

But others have already pointed this out also. 

Would have been nice though. 

9 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

So what is it then if you already know? Please support your claim with scientific proof.

Ment to say I don't know do you? Sorry MT mistake

5 hours ago, doushantuo said:

I was on the verge of never returning to this thread, the suspense was killing me.

As I (and many, many others) have said before:

Not everything (sub) spherical, (sub) ovoidal, ooidal is an egg, that is:

A biomineralized construct designed to immunologically shield an embryo while simultaneously letting it respire, an incubating structure resulting from a certain reproductive ecology and ethology, mostly produced in numbers greater than one, and probably, given the high spectral reflectance of the shell, deposited in a secure, or even cryptic, environment,

The shell is of equal depth all the way around as I can see

9 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I ment to say I don't know sorry my mistake 

Well I'm gonna go ahead and assume it is, because I've not seen any examples put forth that remotely resembles what I have. I live in San Diego I'm sure I can have it tested somewhere around here

7 hours ago, doushantuo said:

oo5 spherTFF17).jpg

This was found by cliffs next to a beach and looks nothing like that 

12 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Lets take it as some kind of contest!
Its a quartzitic river rock that suffered some spalling when going through a fire  ;).

Franz Bernhard

It was found on cliffs next to the beach don't think your theory would hold up. Come on people I heard you guys were the smartest on this kind of stuff around . Throw me a freakin bone here (pun) lol

24 minutes ago, AJJ said:

Well I'm gonna go ahead and assume it is, because I've not seen any examples put forth that remotely resembles what I have. I live in San Diego I'm sure I can have it tested somewhere around here

Unfortunately, that is not how science works. Proceeding by assertions and assumptions is not the way. 

As a test, itemize all the reasons why this is not an egg. This is known as falsification, and it is very helpful in the sciences as that is embedded in the empirical method. 

What is the geology of your area? What are the formations exposed in the cliffs where this was found? That will be a good starting point. From there, you can determine the age of the strata, which would be a helpful forensic detail to eliminate a wide range of possibilities. For example, I have found similar rocks such as yours in Devonian deposits, and we know that antedates fossilized eggs by a long chalk. You will likely find the USGS maps of some utility in this task to determine age of the strata. What else was found in the sediments? Our members are happy to assist if you can provide some further detail, but it may be a fool's errand to insist this is a fossil egg at the exclusion of all other possibilities.

• I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Just because something is egg shaped it does not make it an egg.

Screenshot_20220625-143344_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2c83ba9660c0d5b98927a7c940c62d6c.jpg

Must be a Whopper egg because I said so.! :D

istockphoto-525269641-1024x1024.thumb.jpg.f6bbb21847783beef6e57d07068da27e.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 2

17 minutes ago, Kane said:

Unfortunately, that is not how science works. Proceeding by assertions and assumptions is not the way. 

As a test, itemize all the reasons why this is not an egg. This is known as falsification, and it is very helpful in the sciences as that is embedded in the empirical method. 

What is the geology of your area? What are the formations exposed in the cliffs where this was found? That will be a good starting point. From there, you can determine the age of the strata, which would be a helpful forensic detail to eliminate a wide range of possibilities. For example, I have found similar rocks such as yours in Devonian deposits, and we know that antedates fossilized eggs by a long chalk. You will likely find the USGS maps of some utility in this task to determine age of the strata. What else was found in the sediments? Our members are happy to assist if you can provide some further detail, but it may be a fool's errand to insist this is a fossil egg at the exclusion of all other possibilities.

Very informative I greatly appreciate it I didn't look for anything else in the giant crack in the Cliffside I saw this poking out of the dirt a little so I dug it out and took it home I like to collect rocks as memory stones (as my wife and I like to call them) but I've found quite the extensive array of rocks I do have a few that I have questions about maybe you guys would know

7 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Just because something is egg shaped it does not make it an egg.

Screenshot_20220625-143344_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2c83ba9660c0d5b98927a7c940c62d6c.jpg

Must be a Whopper egg because I said so.! :D

istockphoto-525269641-1024x1024.thumb.jpg.f6bbb21847783beef6e57d07068da27e.jpg

Take a chip of that rock off and it be perfectly concave and exact depth all the way around like a shell let's see your picture of that.

More "Not Eggs."

279.jpg

181022-62.jpg

Have any egg fossils been discovered in the area before?

Your item appears to be flat on one side, and the thickness of the "shell" does not appear to be the same in all places. :unsure: 

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me