Cretaceous Jaw Section

Rikache

Hi there everyone!

I recently came across this beautiful jaw section earlier and I was wondering if there was anyone who could help me identify what animal it’s from.

The listing states that it was found in Powder River County, Montana, and is listed as a “reptile jaw”. At first glance through my untrained eye I believed it to be crocodilian in nature. But after a little research I now think it could be Taiidae (lizard).

Im still very new to this and I could obviously be entirely wrong so I’d greatly appreciate your guys’ feedback.

Thank you guys for all your help and for making me feel like a true part of this community. Cheers!

13634665-67A3-4951-8C63-3F3461260CC6.jpeg

4D0503CA-6D66-472C-B5E9-6DCB008F6A4F.jpeg

3666C131-17F3-4540-9C00-58FC9A2D6B63.jpeg

6D1225FA-3F91-4CA6-9ADF-11B6278F8F5D.jpeg

You are a true part of our community, brother! And it's not just our community, now it's yours, too ;)

Using An Illustrated Guide to latest Cretaceous Vertebrate Microfossils of the Hell Creek Formation of Northeastern Montana, it looks almost definitely crocodilian, but, could be wrong!

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

If I may, I'll try for Borealosuchus sp.

Up until 1997, most teeth and jaws got lazily identified as Leidyosuchus sp., but then several species got reassigned to Borealosuchus, so it is all a bit messy! Would you be able to show a picture with a millimetre scale?

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.