Sauropod tooth id help Jobaria?

jikohr

Hi everyone!

I have my eye on a really nice tooth from the Jurassic of Niger but before I get it I figured I'd ask for an outside opinion on it's ID. The seller says it's a Sauropod from the Irhazer formation of Niger and measures 2 inches long and .9 inches wide. Is he correct? Can it be narrowed down any further than that? Any insight would be greatly appreciated as always!

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (8).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

This tooth has a little history see attached topics.  The biggest issue today with material from Niger,  especially Jurassic is an accurate Provenance.  Jobaria is only described from from the Tiouraren Fm which overlies the Irhazer Fm and is in the same area.  Lithostratigraphic analysis is needed to determine which deposit your in.   Why its technically called the Irhazer Group unfortunately they contain different critters which we have very limited info on.

Screenshot_20220523-133757_Drive.jpg.ddb5ecbd92c856d4d744ba3b314dd241.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

10 hours ago, Troodon said:

This tooth has a little history see attached topics.  The biggest issue today with material from Niger,  especially Jurassic is an accurate Provenance.  Jobaria is only described from from the Tiouraren Fm which overlies the Irhazer Fm and is in the same area.  Lithostratigraphic analysis is needed to determine which deposit your in.   Why its technically called the Irhazer Group unfortunately they contain different critters which we have very limited info on.

Screenshot_20220523-133757_Drive.jpg.ddb5ecbd92c856d4d744ba3b314dd241.jpg

No way, that is HILARIOUS!!!!

So basically if I'm understanding all this correctly, while this could be a Jobaria tooth it's impossible to know without very detailed stratigraphic data because Jobaria is a Tiouraren formation exclusive species and the Irhazer is not only right under it but has similar species, so the two get mixed up a lot.

Man, and I thought the Kem Kem was bad.

Yep they are at different ages and different species.   If this tooth had a complete crown with large denticles it may point to Spinophorosaurus but without diagnostic features its a guess. 

Only image that exists of a Spino tooth.  No clue what the dentition looks like.

Screenshot_20220626-150845_Drive.thumb.jpg.376434f61cca49bfaa2e4403c914ac63.jpg

5 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Yep they are at different ages and different species.   If this tooth had a complete crown with large denticles it may point to Spinophorosaurus but without diagnostic features its a guess. 

Only image that exists of a Spino tooth.  No clue what the dentition looks like.

Screenshot_20220626-150845_Drive.thumb.jpg.376434f61cca49bfaa2e4403c914ac63.jpg

Interesting, so if the tip was intact and didn't have any denticles, and was from that area, would it be IDed as Jobaria?

Well the spoon shape teeth are more typical of Eusauropoda type  Jobaria teeth.  However that does not exclude that these type of teeth dont belong to some undescribed sauropod in the Irhazer Fm.   Not much is known why strat locality is very important

35 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Well the spoon shape teeth are more typical of Eusauropoda type  Jobaria teeth.  However that does not exclude that these type of teeth dont belong to some undescribed sauropod in the Irhazer Fm.   Not much is known why strat locality is very important

Ah okay.

So basically there is just not enough data on these teeth and formation to conclusively narrow down to a genus, unless there's something really unique like the denticles on Spinophorosaurus. Good to know!

Thanks again man!