Three Bone Segments (Thumb?), Franklin County, Ohio

j.j.jones

I have no experience identifying fossils/bones, but while hiking near the Olentangy River recently, in Franklin County, Ohio, USA, I noticed what appeared to be a "thumb" consisting of three bones that appeared to have recently been uncovered as the dirt and debris surrounding the area where I noticed it was slightly disturbed. I've taken a series of pictures of it, and it appears to be possibly a thumb-like appendage, but the end bone is triangular and somewhat resembles a shark tooth. Curious if anybody may be able to identify what these bones may belong to, as I haven't the slightest clue. I apologize if these photos don't have the correct measurements, but I can try and find another measuring tool and submit additional photos if required. Thank you.

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

5.jpeg

6.jpeg

7.jpeg

8.jpeg

9.jpeg

10.jpeg

These are foot bones from a recent white tailed deer.

See @Harry Pristis ' great photos:

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I agree with Tim.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library