Diploducus tooth

Fossil Maniac

Hello! I bought this 1'' Diploducus tooth a couple weeks ago, But I've seen other people who have teeth that look the same as mine and theirs is labeled as "Diplodocidae" teeth, mine is labled as Diploducus sp. So I was wondering if it's just a Diplodicidae tooth or still a Diploducus sp.

Screenshot (64).png

Screenshot (65).png

I'm inclined to call this type of tooth Diplodocidae.  The Morrison has numerous sauropod that are peg shaped that can be very hard to differentiate between.  

• I Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Troodon said:

I'm inclined to call this type of tooth Diplodocidae.  The Morrison has numerous sauropod that are peg shaped that can be very hard to differentiate between.  

So are the other members of the Diplodocinae family in the Morrison formation undescribed?

This is the list of described sauropods in the Morrison from a 2021 paper (info on side of image).  Granted some may be synonymous with others and they include the Diplodocidae: Amphicolias, Apatosaurus,  Brontosaurus, Barosaurus, Diplodocus, Galeamopus, Kaatedocus and Supersaurus.  Could not tell you how to distinguish most of these teeth from others.

Screenshot_20220627-130301_Drive.thumb.jpg.9d7f8e2174e01f3ae836408a07a84afc.jpg

23 minutes ago, Troodon said:

This is the list of described sauropods in the Morrison from a 2021 paper (info on side of image).  Granted some may be synonymous with others and they include the Diplodocidae: Amphicolias, Apatosaurus,  Brontosaurus, Barosaurus, Diplodocus, Galeamopus, Kaatedocus and Supersaurus.  Could not tell you how to distinguish most of these teeth from others. 

Screenshot_20220627-130301_Drive.thumb.jpg.9d7f8e2174e01f3ae836408a07a84afc.jpg

Wow. It would be really cool if it was Amphicoelias.