Hi all! I’m considering buying this specimen which is identified by the seller as dinosaur prints from Connecticut, but first I wanted to make sure it’s what it claims to be, and not an instance of pareidolia or similar. I also was curious whether anyone here could offer some additional info on the prints—any guesses on age, formation, more specific locality, ichnogenus, etc.? Thanks in advance. I’m very excited to buy this if none of you have any bad news to offer! :dinosmile:

full piece regular light

full piece shadows/contrast

side 1

middleside 2

2054438004_PIC5print.JPG

1024229373_PIC6print.JPG

617143804_PIC8print.JPG

776780084_PIC9print.JPG

773665899_PIC10BACK.JPG

:star:

Wishing you a merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah, and a joyful holiday season!

🎄   🕎   🎁

Additional pic that didn't come through:1556394841_PIC7print.thumb.JPG.89c9bd27450099a1e288def26334fd77.JPG

🎄   🕎   🎁

19 minutes ago, Maniraptora said:

any guesses on age, formation, more specific locality,

This is information you would need from the seller for anyone to provide input on this.  My assumption is not likely a real print though. I also think the tracing is making it appear to be something it isn't. Looks like rock to me but I've been wrong before.  Not much out here in CT other than Rocky Hill or Middlefield area I think.

Edited by FB003
  • I Agree 2

*Frank*

The Newark Supergroup incl Portland Fm is late Triassic early Jurassic contains many trackways of Dinosaur and Archosaurs in CT and MA..  Not seen a boulder like yours containing the variety of prints seen on it, very odd.  Most sold from that region are on flat plates.  Let's see what others say.  Did you get a locality where it was found like FB003 indicated seller needs to provide that..

Glen Kuban has provided this guide for identification  of the inchotaxons

Screenshot_20220627-153809_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d7216339c67b8bfd636127d8adb088fb.jpg

There are places in the conn river valley that have extensive trackways where you can buy dino prints directly.  Grallator prints on flat plates.  The one i bought does not look like yours.  Google will be your friend here

I've lived in Connecticut my whole life, and seen a lot of dinosaur footprints. Even found a few of my own.

I have never seen this sort of preservation: on a rounded boulder.  I can't conceive of a way footprints could show up on the side of a rounded mass of mud.

The material almost looks right for CT River Valley dino prints, but I am unconvinced of the authenticity of these "tracks".

As stated, usually you will find them in pretty well bedded planes, rather than in a chunk like that.

I would steer clear of this one.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Err, these outlines!! Are those scratches or chalk marks? First of all the seller should get rid of those if chalk marks. If scratches, the specimen is already ruined.

Anyways, with the marks hopefully removed, seller should provide pics with lighting from several different angles. Lets see then, if the prints persist ;)!

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard

There are print like shapes, but I am doubtful that they are actual footprints.  :unsure: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

My guess its chalk outline.  If you look at the prints there are none that are complete, they just show the digits.   Support of print like shapes but not footprints

Thanks so much, all of you, for the helpful replies so far! :) That track ID chart is fascinating-- thanks, Troodon. They're definitely chalk marks and not scratches. The photos are mine, taken in-person at the shop selling the specimen. This seller usually provides minimal locality/age info, as in this case, which is of course less than ideal, but here I would be willing to overlook that if the prints are authentic.

• Thank You 1

🎄   🕎   🎁

Thanks for the additional info, @Maniraptora.

2 minutes ago, Maniraptora said:

This seller usually provides minimal locality/age info, as in this case, which is of course less than ideal, but here I would be willing to overlook that if the prints are authentic.

Hm. Better to stay away. But this is very easy for me, I don´t buy fossils, I only self collect...;).

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 1

Do a Google search of dinosaurs footprints.  Take a look at those sold and trackways.   Most are on horizontal surfaces since thats how they are formed and preserved.

Update! I called the shop to ask for some more info. They've identified the larger footprint near the top as being from Grallator and the other smaller ones as being from a crocodilian. I know there are definite examples of crocodylomorph/crocodilian (not sure which) tracks from the CT River Valley, so I don't find that too shocking of an ID if accurate. I also found out that they source these fossils from trade shows across the region. The person I spoke with told me he'd look for more info on this piece and call back to tell me what he found.

Edited by Maniraptora
  • Thank You 2

🎄   🕎   🎁

In February 2017, we had a  TFF member selling Grallator tracks that he had recovered from a farm in the Connecticut River Valley.  I was fortunate to get a couple..  They are definitely in "flat" mud....

IMG_2295Grallator.jpg.368fd06d994df5f208f8463df11848da.jpgIMG_2295enhGrallator.jpg.304c63c8caabe0634f15844bad6ec512.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Like Jack’s @Shellseeker, the one print that I have is also flat. Mine did not come out of Connecticut, but rather from Massachusetts.

This Grallator print was collected by and belonged to Indiana paleontologist Jesse James Calloway, he collected it at a quarry that belonged to Carlton Nash in 1941. I took a screen shot from a previous post that I replied too.

4683C23C-244E-4306-B4BE-5C8EB2295A62.thumb.jpeg.3fc581d516317f75a8c31ce358ee1df6.jpeg

Edited by Nimravis
  • I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

Update, again! The sellers don't have any more info on the piece, beyond saying that they've had it at their shop for 20 years now (evidently part of the explanation for the lack of info) and that they bought it directly from whoever collected it. They offered no explanation for why the tracks should be found on this dimensional piece rather than a slab. They're not willing to budge at all on price, despite the unanswered questions. I'm definitely passing on this one! Thanks again to everyone who replied here and provided helpful and interesting info (and cool pics from your own collections) that helped with my decision on this. I really appreciate it! :BigSmile:

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

🎄   🕎   🎁

2 hours ago, Maniraptora said:

Update, again! The sellers don't have any more info on the piece, beyond saying that they've had it at their shop for 20 years now (evidently part of the explanation for the lack of info) and that they bought it directly from whoever collected it. They offered no explanation for why the tracks should be found on this dimensional piece rather than a slab. They're not willing to budge at all on price, despite the unanswered questions. I'm definitely passing on this one! Thanks again to everyone who replied here and provided helpful and interesting info (and cool pics from your own collections) that helped with my decision on this. I really appreciate it! :BigSmile:

You might consider doing a search on this site...  lots of details and info going 10 years back

GrallatorSearch.JPG.db55510a779b11d962b1dfef22359b79.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

39 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

You might consider doing a search on this site...  lots of details and info going 10 years back

GrallatorSearch.JPG.db55510a779b11d962b1dfef22359b79.JPG

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll have to try that in the future.

🎄   🕎   🎁