Petrified

Not sure how to ask but is dinosaur bone mostly heavy or light?  I do have some and oddly they are extremely heavy.  The shapes matched a certain anatomy area of a dinosaur.  The material I find is premian-triassic to triassic along with material from devonian- Carboniferous.  Nothing from Jurassic yet but a possibility when I do more homework.  Area found will be discussed later but trying to figure out why so much material is petrified.  Yes silica content is very high in area but bones almost look like iron shapes.  I tested the shapes despite the color of black, brown, and smooth.  And yes I was able to prove it's bone but not in a way one would think bone is preserved.  No pictures for this discussion just trying to wrap head around why so heavy.  Discuss this to get a better idea of preservance in an iron like way?  The reason no pictures because not in a debate whether rock or bone but why heavy, ironish, brown and black.

Definition of a fossil= Love at first site.

Dinosaur bones ard often quite heavy.  Heck, they are made of rock.  But many bones from our local Lance formation are actually light, hollow and very delicate.  
i have never heard of fossil bones preserved with iron.  Pyrite, yes; iron, no.

the stuff you have is almost all pre-dinosaur (except for triassic material, where dinis are generally rare), so i am curious as to what you are finding.  This and other comnents you made all leaves me chomping at the bit to see photos.

I'll echo what jpc said and suggest you post photos of your finds.   Please include where they were found and age.

There is one timeframe that doesn't match Devonian,Carboniferous, and Pennsylvanian.  Area has ton of petrified material and the material didn't match any older time frames or newer ones ice age and newer.  So I worked with a friend on this to get to bottom if it.  For sure you know it petrified wood was from triassic period.  Bones and Coprolite along with plant material from time frame found there.  Elk county, Pennsylvania and yes triassic galore.  I broke the mold of the impossible to be possible boys and girls.  This piece for starts is petrified wood from triassic.  

IMG_20220627_190731270.jpg

Then this is bone so I had end grinded down to see if marrow shows and for sure you know it low and behold.  Th3 reason I went further in investigating matter because shapes matched anatomy areas of specific spots of legs.  Fibia is the correct term I believe.    The oval ring is what I was mainly looking for but beautiful red swirls in rest of edge was a bonus.

IMG_20220627_190724508.jpg

Edited by Petrified

1 minute ago, Petrified said:

Then this is bone so I had end grinded down to see if marrow shows and for sure you know it low and behold.  Th3 reason I went further in investigating matter because shapes matched anatomy areas of specific spots of legs.  Fibia is the correct term I believe.    

Try taking a photo in natural light.  I would be interested in seeing the surface texture of the non-ground areas.  As it looks now, I don't see bone, I see a chert nodule.

• I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

19 minutes ago, Petrified said:

So I worked with a friend on this to get to bottom if it.  For sure you know it petrified wood was from triassic period.  Bones and Coprolite along with plant material from time frame found there.  Elk county, Pennsylvania and yes triassic galore.  I broke the mold of the impossible to be possible boys and girls.  This piece for starts is petrified wood from triassic. 

How was this determined?  :Confused02:

According to the official geologic maps, Elk County is firmly placed in the Pennsylvannian period.   :headscratch:

PABEDROCKMAP.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I agree with Tim... Elk County is at the opposite end of the state from any Triassic rocks.  How are you deciding this is Triassic?  

The bone piece does not indeed have any bone structure in your cut and polished end.  Google dinosaur bone cross section and compare the results with yours.  Oh, and the shape does not really look like any dinos bone or other bone that I am familiar with.  

• I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

How was this determined?  :Confused02:

According to the official geologic maps, Elk County is firmly placed in the Pennsylvannian period.   :headscratch:

PABEDROCKMAP.JPG

The petrified wood is triassic.  The bone is preserved in odd colors with bone marrow.  If you want to believe geological surveys that weren't updated since the Victorian era in some areas with technology of today that's ok.  Also recently dinosaurs we're discovered in other areas of PA too.  The geological map does not show that at all.  

43 minutes ago, jpc said:

I agree with Tim... Elk County is at the opposite end of the state from any Triassic rocks.  How are you deciding this is Triassic?  

The bone piece does not indeed have any bone structure in your cut and polished end.  Google dinosaur bone cross section and compare the results with yours.  Oh, and the shape does not really look like any dinos bone or other bone that I am familiar with.  

The pic of bone was taken at an angle.  The piece itself looks like a socket area of upper leg.  The wood itself is traissic even the details showing can prove that.

17 minutes ago, Petrified said:

The petrified wood is triassic.  The bone is preserved in odd colors with bone marrow.  If you want to believe geological surveys that weren't updated since the Victorian era in some areas with technology of today that's ok.  Also recently dinosaurs we're discovered in other areas of PA too.  The geological map does not show that at all.  

Okay, but,  HOW was this Triassic age determined?

What "technology" was used?  Also, what dinosaurs were discovered in what  "other areas" of PA? 

From Wikipedia:

"During the Mesozoic, Pangaea began to break apart. The geological forces responsible for the breakup formed large rift valleys in the eastern part of the state.[3] These areas of Pennsylvania were covered in huge lakes during the Late Triassic.[11]

Many dinosaur tracks have been discovered in Pennsylvania. Atreipus tracks are known from the Late Triassic Lockatong Formation in Arcola, Gratersford, and Gwynnedd.[12] Grallator tracks have been discovered in the Late Triassic Passaic Formation in Schwenksville. Atreipus tracks are known from the same formation in Gratersford.[13] Ancient crocodilians have left fossils. A genus referred to as Galtonia gibbidens left behind some teeth in the Emigsville area. Rutiodon fossils were preserved in York County along the Little Conewago Creek. Also near Emigsville, two metoposaurs were preserved in what is now a copper mine.[14]

Just saying  "This is so",  doesn't convince me. Supporting evidence, and reproducible results are what will convince me.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

14 minutes ago, jpc said:

I give up....

Dont dispare we are here to TRY to educate. 

27 minutes ago, Petrified said:

Also recently dinosaurs we're discovered in other areas of PA too.

Love to see what was discovered since other than tracks we have little knowledge of these Dino's.

• I Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Dont dispare we are here to TRY to educate. 

Love to see what was discovered since other than tracks we have little knowledge of these Dino's.

For the reference I'm an autodidactic person at a genius level.  If I all of the sudden get interested in a specific thing I can oddly learn it at an extremely high level beyond comprehension in a short period of time.  I have high functioning autism and feel that plays a part in matters.  This is not calling me a know it all in any way but I get glued to a specific thing the level of info I can learn is mind boggling beyond what most can comprehend.  Yes I just glued myself to bones recently I learned more in that short period than one could believe is even possible.  I will be going through a museum with discoveries and sadly it takes that for anyone to accept new possibilities.  Term phrase that is toxic and limits ability to learn is when one is set in stone.  They have the inability to learn new things for minds are closed and beliefs are limited.  I will be in books for the new discoveries and yes I will be able to teach others what I learned new and discovered new.  It will be proven through museums but in meantime trust me on what I say on some matters.  If I don't know something I will admit for I do want to learn.  But the ignorance to help someone due to incorrect geological areas is baffling.  Sadly it comes to me learning matters on own over matters that should be open minded more.  This fossil forum is nice but need to expand minds of possibilities.  Been on here for years reading finds and such but see it so much of quick dismissal of objects.due to inability to understand things past what was taught.  When one understands how to go beyond a degree then that is when one truly learns.  Sorry....

Well then explaining why you call these bones Triassic should not be an issue.   And still waiting on the information on those new dinosaur discoveries.

• I Agree 2

That picture isnt bone.  It has no characteristic of bone.  It looks more like flowstone from a cave.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

We have all heard the "You are not open minded enough to learn" spiel.  Numerous times. "Think outside the box, ... stuck in your learning, etc, etc. "

But what I don't see or hear is any evidence presented that places the so called "bones" (still in question at this point) at a Triassic age from an area that is historically Pennsylvanian in age.  :headscratch:

All I am hearing is about why I am wrong, not why you are right.   :shrug:

Please take your finds to a certified paleontologist at a museum or university near you, and hopefully they can confirm your finds for you.

Right now, the poor picture quality doesn't help us see what you are seeing.

Topic is closed to other replies, but I would really like to hear from @Petrified about his experience that led him to these conclusions.

• I Agree 3

• Fossildude19 locked this topic
  • Fossildude19 unlocked this topic

Ok I'll try my best to explain along with some theories I have.  First I will go by my theory.  Looking at the mountain geological area of Pennsylvania I was under the impression that the mountain range stretched apart going northeast.  The state has five elevated mt. lines going Norththwest.  I believe all five were once connected to the southeast triassic region at one time.  But southeast region will be strongest point.  Next range will be a little weaker with material and so on.  Basically the five Mt. Ranges under a percentage theory southeast would be considered labeled as area 1 would be considered a 75% strength of material then other number going from southeast to northwest:

2: 60%

3: 45%

4: 30%

5: 15%

Now with that I am under impression material would be on southeast side of mt range in each area from 2-5.  Basically about 50 ft or more up the elevation going northeast.  When you push and separate something the stuff on top will fall off towards starting point towards each valley but not in valley at all.  I've been testing this theory to see if any kind of possibilities it could happen in way stated.  So for starts I started studying creek materials all over elk county region to see if anything that could fall into that category.  I found 3 places altogether that seems to have off material that didn't seem to fit.  Sadly 2 of the 3 are in state game lands so out of question on those 2.  The one that was a available I used to go to years ago and had material from there in the past.  The area has a very odd preservation of silica in that area.  Most of the fossils there preserved quite well and alot is petrified.  I noticed one type of colored rock I was coming across quite a few occasions didn't seem to match normal color range of creek with the carboniferous, devonian, or Pennsylvanian material.  It was an odd white, light orangish yellow color that stood out above the rest.  This wasn't petrified but an unusual smooth sandstone type rock.  So I started just looking for that color material is see what type of fossil life in that material rock.  The plant life was preserved in more of a odd brownish color.  None of the plant life seemed to match the first 3 time frames.  So I decided to have my buddy cut my petrified wood material from years prior to get to bottom of what time period it could be.  We were able to see the pattern inside matched premian-triassic period.  My buddy band I seen that this specific type of wood and pattern only existed in that time period.  Then I decided to study my Coprolite material and yes oddly quite a few pieces there.  Only one piece I believe to be in that timeframe was a herbivore piece.  There is a Coprolite that matched this one on a site by artbygod polished Coprolite.  The red is digestive plant material.  Now as far as bones goes I'm still trying to figure that one out.  The material has a very unusual preservance that seems odd to me.  I think it's due to high iron deposit material causing the color of the piece showing above.  The outside almost looks like iron and isn't at all.  Iron is magnetic and no bone material was even slightly magnetic.  The iron preserved and gave it the color I'm seeing.  Even the inside is preserved same color.  Only difference was on a normal marrow the colors would be the ring would be red but this one is white with a marbelized look of red and brown.  I think this is more due to the fact  it was broken and blood drained out of bone itself along with preservation.  Now with all that I shared on my end you understand my point of what I am under the impression of.  Now with all this yes I will be going to a museum to have an on hand look for some things are better seen in hand.  I'm not a know it all and far from one but deeply feel I'm on to something that could be a great break through.  If I gave anyone that impression I'm sorry for I been very frustrated over matter and just trying to get a point across.  I am not talking about this on here anymore until I get facts lined up with theories and finds.  Until then I guess we'll find out if it is a possible breakthrough.  If not then that's ok for I believe we all fall to get to a better step.  Until then onto the next fossil and may your finds be great.

received_565625505135837.jpeg

Edited by Petrified

3 hours ago, Petrified said:

Now with all this yes I will be going to a museum to have an on hand look for some things are better seen in hand.

I would strongly suggest to you that before you visit the museum you make an appointment with the resident geologist/paleontologist so that you can discuss your theory with him/her/them and also bring along your bits of wood for assessment.

• I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

6 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I would strongly suggest to you that before you visit the museum you make an appointment with the resident geologist/paleontologist so that you can discuss your theory with him/her/them and also bring along your bits of wood for assessment.

I would but none around here.  Closest place I can work with is in Pittsburgh PA.  Carnegie natural history museum is there.  I have been in touch with the paleontologist from there.  If someone near where I live in elk county that I'm not aware of wants to have a sit down is more than welcome to meet with me.  I have met with fellow members on here in the past.  It was a fun day digging in bennezette that day digging devonian period plants.  Plus anyone that does meet with me can dig material with me of carboniferous period.  Other area is off limits as in a secret spot for my friend and kids only.  My friend is not doing well and only 1-3 months to live based on Drs.

Edited by Petrified

1 hour ago, Petrified said:

I would but none around here.

If you really seriously want to test your theories, then you should be prepared to travel the necessary distance. You already mentioned in black and white that you will be going to a museum, so what's the problem?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

If you really seriously want to test your theories, then you should be prepared to travel the necessary distance. You already mentioned in black and white that you will be going to a museum, so what's the problem?

Money.  Only going that direction in August.  Gas isn't cheap and low on cash so yeah that can be a problem for me lol.  Lol means laugh out loud in case you didn't know.  Fun fact in high school German language is what I learned instead of Spanish.  Sadly only remember few words lol.

Edited by Petrified
  • Enjoyed 1

22 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

I have to admit that I haven't followed this thread very closely and what I've read is pretty hard to follow. I have to ask what I can weigh in on?

23 minutes ago, Carl said:

I have to admit that I haven't followed this thread very closely and what I've read is pretty hard to follow. I have to ask what I can weigh in on?

It is a bit confusing, but I believe the OP believes the last photo posted is a coprolite.  I have my doubts, but thought you might be able to chime in. ;)