North Sulfur River - Unknown Fossils

Metafossical

Newbie Notes

Long story short.

September 2020 I decided to become a fossil hunter. I searched the internet and found the North Sulfur River.  My first three visits I found coral fragments and small fossil wood.  I was still hopeful.

I then reviewed several maps of the area and decided on the road less traveled by.  Went there November 2020 and found my first fossil.  I followed the strata in which that fossil was found. The strata led me up a  creek and that creek was laden with fossils. I hunted that creek countless times and found a bunch of nice fossils. On my last two visits they were scarce, so I stayed away for six months. I returned this May and it was the same as it ever was.

I searched the internet and I have an idea of what these fossils might be  . . .  but as a newbie I’m not so sure, so I need help to ID.  The following first set of pics include the first fossil and one of the latest.

Thanks in advance for your time to ID. I hope you find these fossils as interesting and fascinating as I have.

~

1.1.JPG  1.2.jpg

1a.JPG  1b.JPG  1c.JPG

1d.JPG  1e.JPG  1f.JPG

1g.JPG  2.JPG  2a.JPG

2b.JPG  2c.JPG  2d.jpg

2e.jpg

3.JPG

3a.JPG  3b.JPG  3c.JPG

3d.JPG  3e.JPG  3f.JPG 

• Enjoyed 1

Clarity of meaning and brevity                                                                                                                                         ~                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Nothing endures but change.  ~ Heraclitus  (c.535 - 475 BC)                                                                                                                   

Photos are awfully small.  :(

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I agree.  Try to get better focus and a larger image.  Your first nine images show a nice pair of mosasaur cervical (neck) vertebrae.  Wherever you found them could produce skull elements too.  

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

G1.22.JPG

G1.23.JPG

G1.24.JPG

G1.25.JPG

G1.26.jpg

G1.27.jpg

G1.28.JPG

G1.29.JPG

G1.30.JPG

G1.31.JPG

G1.31.JPG

G1.32.JPG

G1.33.JPG

G1.34.JPG

• Thank You 1

Clarity of meaning and brevity                                                                                                                                         ~                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

SAM_1259.JPG

• Enjoyed 2

11 minutes ago, Metafossical said:

G1.22.JPG

G1.23.JPG

G1.24.JPG

G1.25.JPG

G1.26.jpg

G1.27.jpg

G1.28.JPG

G1.29.JPG

G1.30.JPG

G1.31.JPG

G1.31.JPG

G1.32.JPG

G1.33.JPG

G1.34.JPG

Thanks; these are much easier to view.  The first six images look like a fish bone to me.  The next piece is most likely a mosasaur scapula...a very cool find.

1.2.jpg

1a.JPG

1b.JPG

1c.JPG

1d.JPG

1e.JPG

1f.JPG

1g.JPG

G1.9.JPG

G1.10.jpg

G1.11.JPG

G1.12.jpg

G1.13.jpg

G1.14.jpg

G1.15.jpg

G1.16.jpg

G1.17.JPG

G1.18.JPG

G1.19.jpg

G1.20.JPG

G1.21.JPG

• Enjoyed 4

I'm still learning how to use your system.

I'll make the necessary adjustments as I move forward. 

I may have to reprocess the photos of the "mosasaur cervical (neck) vertebrae."

19 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Thanks; these are much easier to view.  The first six images look like a fish bone to me.  The next piece is most likely a mosasaur scapula...a very cool find.

Thanks for the nice words I appreciate it. 

i'm gonna be processing  and posting some more photos soon.  i didn't realize how much "work" it is get to take all the photos and process them.  I'm still new at this so I hope to improve over time.

38 minutes ago, Metafossical said:

G1.10.jpg

G1.11.JPG

G1.12.jpg

G1.13.jpg

G1.14.jpg

G1.15.jpg

G1.16.jpg

This is a partial rudist known as Durania.

The disk like shell is the flat valve of an Exogyra oyster.

• I found this Informative 2

It would be better to put different fossils in separate replies.  ;)

• I Agree 1

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

I agree.  Try to get better focus and a larger image.  Your first nine images show a nice pair of mosasaur cervical (neck) vertebrae.  Wherever you found them could produce skull elements too.  

Nice ID. 

I have a mosasaur anatomy diagram (I think that 's what it is) here that I downloaded from the internet.  I thought for sure they were pygal or post pygal.  I see now they are cervical.  Interestingly, and thanks to your ID I have another one that fits right in there that is similar.  And yes, you are correct I believe I have found skull elements. 

39 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

The disk like shell is the flat valve of an Exogyra oyster.

Thanks again, nice ID.

I was wondering about that one.  I took a look at it on the internet  . . . I've found a great many and large Exogyra; a couple of field photos  . . .  So the flat valve you have identified in the photo is the bottom?

SAM_1371.JPG

SAM_1372.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

21 minutes ago, Metafossical said:

Thanks again, nice ID.

I was wondering about that one.  I took a look at it on the internet  . . . I've found a great many and large Exogyra; a couple of field photos  . . .  So the flat valve you have identified in the photo is the bottom?

They pair in this manner.

IMG_20220628_110222332_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220628_110159683_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220628_110213130_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220628_110235071.jpg

Nice . . .

I now see how it fits.

With respect to the “fish bone” fossil. 

I remember quite distinctly finding that one.  It was so thin and delicate.  I took off one of the t-shirts I was wearing and wrapped it up loosely and stuck it in my back pack; it made it out in one piece after about 90 million years.  I found it quite fascinating. 

It’s different from any of the other fossil I’ve found.  When I tap on it with my fingernail it sounds of porcelain and it doesn’t have the “honeycomb” ( I don’t know if that is the correct term) features most of the other fossils possess;  it appears dense and “fibrous.” 

40 minutes ago, Metafossical said:

Nice ID. 

I have a mosasaur anatomy diagram (I think that 's what it is) here that I downloaded from the internet.  I thought for sure they were pygal or post pygal.  I see now they are cervical.  Interestingly, and thanks to your ID I have another one that fits right in there that is similar.  And yes, you are correct I believe I have found skull elements. 

This may help.

Pick up a copy of Russell's Systematics and Morphology of American Mosasaurs and Finsley's A Field Guide to Fossils of Texas.  Both will give you a solid base for further research.

10 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

This may help.

Pick up a copy of Russell's Systematics and Morphology of American Mosasaurs and Finsley's A Field Guide to Fossils of Texas.  Both will give you a solid base for further research.

Good stuff.

Just so happens that the diagram that I possess is the same one you referenced in the post  . . . diagram by D.V. Grigoriev.

And I've reviewed and read a great many parts of Dale A. Russell's Systematics and Morphology of American Mosaurs for quite some time now.   I'll be referencing that bulletin in the near future.

I've been doin' my homework.

• Enjoyed 1

2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

It would be better to put different fossils in separate replies.  ;)

Thanks for all the good advice this morning.:tiphat:

~

The following pics are of the cervical vertebrae I referenced earlier.  I didn't know what it was until you identified the other two.  The pieces are now starting to fit together.    It is one of the few fossils that I've clean 100% (or best I could). 

As you wrote in your referenced post, "The easiest way to identify most mosasaur cervical vertebrae is the presence of a peduncle on the underside surface.  These peduncles diminish in size as the cervical vertebrae transition to the thoracic."

Based on your post, the peduncle on the underside of this cervical vertebrae is pronounced and therefore must be getting close/closer to the skull.  I took another look at Grigoviev's diagram and this one here looks to be right up against the skull.

SAM_0008.JPG

SAM_0009.JPG

SAM_0003.JPG

SAM_0005.JPG

SAM_1501.JPG

SAM_0002.JPG

SAM_0010.JPG

SAM_0011.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

The large flat bone in your first set of pix looks like a mosasaur scapula.  Give that a look if you do have Russell's mosasaur monograph.  

21 minutes ago, jpc said:

The large flat bone in your first set of pix looks like a mosasaur scapula.  Give that a look if you do have Russell's mosasaur monograph.  

Nice  . . .

Thanks. 

I do see the fossil in the manual, page 86:  Text-fig 45.  Scapula-coracoid of Tylosaurus (after Williston, 1898b,pl.46,x 1/3).

That fossil is one of my most recent finds.  I knew it as a coracoid, but I failed to reference the manual. 

Pectoral-girdles-of-Mosasaurus-A-right-coracoid-top-and-scapula-bottom-of-M.png

On 6/28/2022 at 10:31 AM, Metafossical said:

And yes, you are correct I believe I have found skull elements.

Any photos?  :)