Mrhenky3

I've recently aquired this Tyrannosaurid tooth from a local shop. The shop sold it as Nanotyrannus lancensis. I think the tip has been repaired, but not quite sure that it is worn or repaired.  However the tooth does not show the indents on the bottom, which is sometimes to be expected on Nanotyrannus I heard. I was wondering if somebody could take another look for me and share their opinion, about what species this tooth belonged to. Thanks in advance.

The tooth was found in the Hell Creek Formation in Montana

Schermafbeelding 2022-06-28 om 21.38.00.png

350250859_Schermafbeelding2022-06-28om21_45_34.png

Schermafbeelding 2022-06-28 om 21.47.15.png

Schermafbeelding 2022-06-28 om 21.47.48.png

Schermafbeelding 2022-06-28 om 21.48.39.png

Do you have a location where this was found?  It's definitely not Nanotyrannus and the tip has been restored.  It's a Tyrannosaurid tooth.

The only specification that I recieved was that is was found in Hell creek formation, Montana. Sadly they couldn't provide me with a more detailed location. 

Without a specific location I'm not willing to make a call.  If it can be proven it's from the HC than it's a dentary T rex tooth, and you need a location for that.

I will make a call to the shop and ask them if they can provide me with a more detailed decription. Thank you for taking a look. I will update this thread as soon as i've got an answer. 

I asked the shop if they could provide me with any additional information. Sadly the only answer I got was that it was found in Hell creek Montana and that the tooth was originally purchased from the Tuscon show. Thanks again  @Troodon for your advice and expertise.

Thats unfortunate, its your call if you would like to call it Trex and feel comfortable its HC.   Montana has numerous different age deposits that are adjacent to one another that contain Tyrannosaurids why locality (county/town) is part of my ID process. 

Nice tooth, what size is it? My frist reaction seeing photos was trex, but as stated above hard to verify with very little info

Tip looks restored , try lighting it up with an UV light, and you will see the restored part 

I was going to purchase an UV-light, but didn't have one hand while visiting the shop, since it was abroad. I'll take a look when the UV-lamp comes in. 

The size is 1.2 inches (3.2cm) in a straight line. @Phos_01

I understand it is hard to verify if it is indeed T-rex. However I really appreciate the insights that are being provided, even though there is not a definitive answer on which species the tooth belonged to.

I found some additional informatie from the seller, that the tooth is between 65 to 74 myo. I don't think this information will help determining the species, but might be interesting anyways.

Edited by Mrhenky3

24 minutes ago, Mrhenky3 said:

found some additional informatie from the seller, that the tooth is between 65 to 74 myo.

Sorry but this seller is clueless

65myo is paleocene

66 HC

Hmm, it seems like that info is vague as well. To bad. Thanks @Troodon for your reply. I will keep it at Tyrannosaurid then. Knowing that it is not Nanotyrannus and that it might be Trex makes it a nice fossil to me.

Just an FYI

HC fossils are found  in the Upper, Middle and Lower units shown in the illustration .  There is an area below these units that appears to have been lost/undiscovered possibly due to erosion.

Screenshot_20220629-095412_Drive.jpg.c7ec07d6ea6992557af0cc90c2623e0d.jpg

Revised geochronology, correlation, and dinosaur stratigraphic ranges of the Santonian-Maastrichtian (Late Cretaceous)formations of the Western Interior of North America. (2017)
Denver Warwick Fowler

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, Troodon said:

Just an FYI

HC fossils are found  in the Upper, Middle and Lower units shown in the illustration .  There is an area below these units that appears to have been lost/undiscovered possibly due to erosion.

Screenshot_20220629-095412_Drive.jpg.c7ec07d6ea6992557af0cc90c2623e0d.jpg

Revised geochronology, correlation, and dinosaur stratigraphic ranges of the Santonian-Maastrichtian (Late Cretaceous)formations of the Western Interior of North America. (2017)
Denver Warwick Fowler

What does the slanted Hell Creek on the top right with Fort Union mean?  Shared location?

*Frank*

11 minutes ago, FB003 said:

What does the slanted Hell Creek on the top right with Fort Union mean?  Shared location?

You mean the red triangle?

9 minutes ago, Troodon said:

You mean the red triangle?

Under N Dakota at the 66M line.  At the end it slants off and splits into two locations.

*Frank*

Hey your changing the subject, there are fines and penalties for that! :)

Here is everything he shows for the HC and his comments on North Dakota.  We are looking at the Forth Union being deposited in the Maastrichtian in the central part of the state

HC.thumb.JPG.5aaaf3dbcfbb9fefb5303069800f0822.JPG

Nd.thumb.JPG.cecce2c5f4225f307d80ae800a6b1830.JPG

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

Hey your changing the subject, there are fines and penalties for that! :)

Here is everything he shows for the HC and his comments on North Dakota.  We are looking at the Forth Union being deposited in the Maastrichtian in the central part of the state

HC.thumb.JPG.5aaaf3dbcfbb9fefb5303069800f0822.JPG

Nd.thumb.JPG.cecce2c5f4225f307d80ae800a6b1830.JPG

Guilty lol.  Had to know though.  I was very curious why some were angled but the text explains it all.  Thanks for adding it! 

*Frank*