Dblackston

Hello all!

I managed to secure access to some private land in Gove County somewhere near to Monument rocks. The peoperty has plenty of the chalk canyon type outcrops to explore and I couldn't be happier!

I won't make it out there this summer but hope to next summer. 

I had a few questions that I hoped you all could help with, or point me in the right direction before I head out there. 

One, I know that the chalk is notoriously difficult to determine stratigraphy in. The chalk I have access to is both higher than and lower than the capstone on Monument rocks. Does anyone know what bed(s) I would be in above and below the capstone layer?

I also was curious if fossils in this region are more predominantly found above the capstone layer, or below, or if they were pretty evenly distributed. 

Secondly, I wondered if there was a good resource that explained how to jacket specimens in the chalk? I have found some strings of vertebrea previously that would look good jacketed and hung on my wall. I would like to be prepared for my next trip out and ready incase I find another decent string. 

Third, I wondered where is the best place to look in the chalk? As mentioned we have found teeth and vertebrea. These have always been strewn about in the flatter areas. I don't expect to find a Xiphactinous or a Mososaur in my adventures, but I do notice that alot of people mention it requires alot of digging to get them. I take it that means they are looking more in the vertical walls and washes than the flat areas? 

Can people that hunt there provide some In-situ photos of their bigger finds?

Lastly, I wondered if outside of fossils there were any cool rocks or minerals to look out for in the Niobrara or the Rocky Mountain Outwash?

I plan on taking my niece out there for a visit and to help her collect fossils for her 4H Geology Project.

Here are some photos from her first/only/last year trip out to a location about 10 miles's west of our current access.

I can't seem to get the photos to rotate and stay rotated on my phone. My apologies!

Some of her cleaned up specimens

20210711_215728.jpg

20210711_215929.jpg

20210711_215734.jpg

20210711_220007.jpg

20210711_215841.jpg

20210711_215951.jpg

20210711_215837.jpg

20210711_215834.jpg

20210711_215718.jpg

20210711_215714.jpg

20210711_215702.jpg

20210711_215657.jpg

20210711_215652.jpg

Edited by Dblackston
  • Enjoyed 5

Then we also found this awesome marcasite "cockscomb" crystal on one of the millions of inoceramous shell fragments.

20210612_203742.jpg

20210612_203705.jpg

Edited by Dblackston
  • Enjoyed 4

Hi,

7 hours ago, Dblackston said:

I take it that means they are looking more in the vertical walls and washes than the flat areas?

I don’t know where you want to hunt fossils, I live in France, but generally speaking it is not recommended to hit vertical walls for safety reasons.

People died either because of the vertical walls that collapsed on them or because they were buried in holes they were digging at the base of a wall.

Be careful !

Coco

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Great display and great photos! Congrats on engaging your niece in your adventures! 

• Thank You 1

10 hours ago, Coco said:

Hi,

I don’t know where you want to hunt fossils, I live in France, but generally speaking it is not recommended to hit vertical walls for safety reasons.

People died either because of the vertical walls that collapsed on them or because they were buried in holes they were digging at the base of a wall.

Be careful !

Coco

Coco, thank your for the concern. My description wasn't whole accurate. The area is more washes and draws than it is vertical. 

I just was meaning I should focus more in the eroding areas then in material that is already and more flat. 

Sorry about that I should have been more clear. 

• Enjoyed 1