How real is this Theropod claw from the Kem Kem?

Hi,

I have been offered a Kem Kem claw which I think is a theropod hand claw, but when it comes to claws from the Kem Kem, I have little idea on how to spot composites or claws made out of carved bone (or at least, I worry too much about Kem Kem claws no matter how good they seem). Wanted to ask if someone can help me determine if this claw is real, and if so, are there any repairs done on it. Thank you!

1214045203_Theropodclawfossil1.jpg.0fc27bf881d05fc3334d22d6b45d472d.jpg

592156668_Theropodclawfossil2.jpg.b6b78dc5ea0f2290d799e2f924ee67ca.jpg

1522091883_Theropodclawfossil3.jpg.f2bb18a4e39b01c994dde495fde262de.jpg

168418852_Theropodclawfossil4.jpg.bbc81588292a5ba01906d1cf59693485.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

This morphology of claw, appears to be hand, is one of the most common I see sold from the KKG.  Looks real with no obvious red flags in the views shown (no ventral/dorsal images) other than the dark red area (may just be missing the surface)  in the second photo, may also be some small fill in other areas.  Overall nice.   However do yourself a favor and examine this claw with a good UV light to see if there is any work done to it.  Photos alone cannot see good resto work done outside of Morocco.

Having said all of this I cannot unequivocally say this belongs to a Theropod.  We had a topic a few years back that discussed this type of claw, its different with that flat ventral side.  Was it pterosaur,  dinosaurian or other.  Hope it is, leaning in that direction but like most items in the KKG its an unknown.  Ibrahim et al. in their latest paper (2020) just indicated that this morph type could not be assigned to any specific theropod group.

• I found this Informative 2

One more item as far as size they vary quite a bit, those in my collection are from 4 to 9 cm point to point

Interesting piece. Photos are no high quality to zoom in. Do you got better?

I see some obvious bone parts but also some other parts I would like to see.

Agree with Frank about the filler etc on second photo.

I like the curving on the back were it would connect with finger 

Thanks everyone! I asked the seller about repairs but he didn't say anything about it and it turns out I can't afford it anyway, so I won't be buying it. Thanks again everyone for the help.

9 hours ago, msantix said:

Thanks everyone! I asked the seller about repairs but he didn't say anything about it and it turns out I can't afford it anyway, so I won't be buying it. Thanks again everyone for the help.

Yes the prices are insane at the moment, 3times as before. I hope they adjust at some point again. Good claws are very rare though , very rarely some come up for sale. 

• I Agree 1

I'll second that.  Complete claws from the KKG with good preservation and no moroccan hanky panky are indeed sought after.  I have a hard time believing that prices will drop because there appears to be buyers at any price point also the better collecting areas are making way to more remote ones with poorer preservation.   Lets also not  forget that stricter government regulations will also have an impact on supply and price.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1