An Honest Question: Why are Fossils in Matrix so Popular?

Rock Hound

23 hours ago, joaoarguello3 said:

after all where the fossil rests is part of the ecosystem where it lived

Not always. Dead or still alive organism can be transported by catastrophic events to places where they did not life. Can be embedded in rock types, for example conglomerates, which were not their habitat during lifetime. Faunas of different habitats can also be mixed up during more or less catastrophic transport and burial. Its a case by case thing. Just visited a site with mixed fauna in conglomerate today ;).

Franz Bernhard

• I Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/30/2022 at 11:52 PM, JBkansas said:

For example this prep from @Raistlin, the matrix holding together the little microcosm of the seabed is what makes it an impressive fossil.

20220109_164541.jpg.905b6542a6a46fe0dbdfc70c5f6f9bdb.jpg

With this one I chose to not do a lot with the bryozoan so that the trilo would stand out more. I still might clean them a bit more but I like it as it sits.

• Enjoyed 1

Robert
Southeast, MO

I always thought fossils in matrix display better, if the matrix isn't too big. They look nice on the shelf rather than in a plastic case. I also like teeth in matrix if there are smaller, other fossils within the matrix. I like Wealden fossils for that reason--you often have the tooth, but then you could have fish bone fragments, a bit of turtle shell, a sharks tooth etc in the matrix too. Kinda like a mini snapshot of prehistoric life.

On the other hand, you get to see more detail with a single tooth without the matrix

Edited by FF7_Yuffie

I mainly collect marine reptile remains - teeth, vertebrae, paddle bones, jaws, that kind of thing - and as such prefer my specimens matrix-free. This allows me to study and appreciate them from all sides, which for me increases their informative value as the deposits the fossils come from are often themselves already well-studied. The couple of pieces on matrix that I have, I have for either aesthetic reasons or because the fossil would've been too fragile to be taken out of its matrix. Having less matrix also means that I'm less pressed on space - which is something I already am anyway :P

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

I occasionally prepare dinosaur fossils. Most of the time I remove all matrix on my specimen to make as much surface area visible as possible. However, when I find associated bones I do not destroy this association if possible. The association itself can contain interesting information.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

It's hard to pick... but I prefer out of the matrix, the fossils take up far less space and are easier to display. Although I do have a few in matrix because why not! 

20220528_175102.jpg

• I Agree 1

Well, consider this....

We are all familiar with the "wow" moment of spotting a lovely fossil in the wild for the first time....

Keeping it in matrix is a way to save that memory a little bit better.

• Enjoyed 1

2 hours ago, aplomado said:

Well, consider this....

We are all familiar with the "wow" moment of spotting a lovely fossil in the wild for the first time....

Keeping it in matrix is a way to save that memory a little bit better.

I like it, nicely said :Wink1:

One fossil a day will keep you happy all day:rolleyes:

Welcome to the FOSSIL ART