Dermal denticle

Kolya

Hello!
Is it possible to identify this scale? May be to order, or family, or genus?
Max size: ~ 0,5 mm.
There is some relief on the sides of denticle (see arrow).
Thanks in advance! 

2.jpg

IMG_20220702_174218_1.jpg

I'm not sure what you have there, dermal denticle or fish scale, but I think the arrowed area may indicate bryozoan encrustation. It's hard to see the details in this tiny but nice specimen. :)

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thanks a lot!
I understant what do You mean about bryozoan, but it is not in this case. It is micro-relief for sure. But not only on sides, as I thoght, but also on others parts of surface. 
Few more photos:

IMG_20220703_111100_1.jpg

IMG_20220703_112000.jpg

IMG_20220703_112258.jpg

IMG_20220703_112750.jpg

IMG_20220703_112840.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

I don't think you can narrow down the ID to genus.  It's old enough that it could be from an extinct genus.  If it's from a genus still living today, you might be able to narrow it down to some possibilities but it's almost as unlikely.  Denticles change in shape on different parts of the body of an individual so you would need a guide that documents that for modern species.  I don't think that guide exists.

There is a guide for modern skates from a particular area (North Sea) but that probably won't help you.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/230211025_An_Identification_Key_for_Dermal_Denticles_of_Rajidae_from_the_North_Sea

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

5 hours ago, Kolya said:

Thanks a lot!
I understant what do You mean about bryozoan, but it is not in this case. It is micro-relief for sure. But not only on sides, as I thoght, but also on others parts of surface. 
Few more photos:

IMG_20220703_111100_1.jpg

IMG_20220703_112000.jpg

IMG_20220703_112258.jpg

IMG_20220703_112750.jpg

IMG_20220703_112840.jpg

Yes, you're right. Thanks for the new pictures! :)

• Enjoyed 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

12 hours ago, siteseer said:

I don't think you can narrow down the ID to genus.  It's old enough that it could be from an extinct genus.  If it's from a genus still living today, you might be able to narrow it down to some possibilities but it's almost as unlikely.  Denticles change in shape on different parts of the body of an individual so you would need a guide that documents that for modern species.  I don't think that guide exists.

There is a guide for modern skates from a particular area (North Sea) but that probably won't help you.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/230211025_An_Identification_Key_for_Dermal_Denticles_of_Rajidae_from_the_North_Sea

Thank You very mch for the answer!
Very nice paper!

• I Agree 1