Reptilian skull

Debbielebrecht

I found this skull in our field next to our house last week.  It was being pushed up from the ground. The photo shows the front R side of the face w/ clear jawline, R eye socket & R side of a crest.  I would like ID help, please.  

We are 1/2 hour south of the WI border.  It was near a fossilized, partially opened egg & the limestone-encrusted skull of a juvenile lizard, among other fossils.  There are volcanic rocks nearby & we believe that the interstate Rock River was considerably larger, covering our property & bringing those things south to IL.

20220627_154337.jpg

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

I am having a hard time imagining a skull into this rock. But I can, somewhat.

That said, this is not skull, but a suggestively shaped rock. Human are hardwired to see faces and other things in clouds or various objects, this is called

Pareidolia (link to wikipedia).

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard
  • I Agree 8

The 'jaw line' seems to run to the back of the head? It's a mineral layer. 

Erosion and imagination have done the rest. 

It's a rock. 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 7

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Winnebago County has bedrock from the Ordovician period. No lizards existed then AND your area was covered by a massive sea during this period (No fish either). Looking upstream of Rock River does not find a rock formations that would provide a skull to wash down river.  Your other finds should be questioned too. Please post pictures of them for analysis by the experts. Rocks are frequently mistaken for eggs and skulls.

Mike

No bilateral symmetry. No bone present as would be expected of a skull. How can you tell the supposed lizard was a juvenile? Why are the eye sockets different shapes and sizes? Don't lizards have nostrils? Teeth? Is there an atlas at the back of the skull? 

It's a rock.

• I Agree 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Sorry, not a skull. Just a suggestively shaped rock.

• I Agree 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite