I just have so many questions, thanks for your patience. Found these two pieces in what, I think, is Brush Creek Limestone; they're definitely Pennsylvanian Period and from Allegheny County, PA. The first one is 3 cm x 1 cm, the second is about 2.5 cm long.

0702221730a_HDR~2.jpg

0702221732f~2.jpg

0702221732h~2.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

The first one is...nice find.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 5

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

First is a very nice Petalodus tooth, probably P. ohioensis. The second looks like a gastropod cross section.

@cngodles

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 5

Petalodus ohioensis Safford 1853. And a really nice one. Finding one where the entire crown survives is a 1 out of 3-ish occurrence. Looks like the concave lingual side, the side that would have faced inwards in the mouth. The other side is a bit different and convex in shape. It's interesting when you find them like the one you have there, as it looks like it's a very flat tooth. But the other side sticks out quite a bit. I would say that it will probably break if you try to free the other side, at least though hammering. 

The other piece, looks like it is a gastropod. With shell thickness I would lean heavily on Gastropod. There is a hint of a selenizone, and it might be a Shansiella. With this much exposed though, it's best labeled indeterminate gastropod.

• I found this Informative 2

Fossils of Parks Township - ResearchCatalog | How-to Make High-Contrast Photos

7 hours ago, cngodles said:

I would say that it will probably break if you try to free the other side, at least though hammering. 

Unfortunately it's on a awkward piece, but I'm going to leave it alone. This is my first excursion into limestone and getting these fossils out has been frustrating...just the vibrations from the hammering is sometimes enough to break the specimen. Btw, your site helped me ID the Petalodus, thanks!

• Enjoyed 1

On 7/2/2022 at 6:05 PM, Lucid_Bot said:

Petalodus?

The first one is for sure. What a beauty!

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Wow! That Petalodus is a reall beauty! Congrats on the cool find!

-Micah

• Thank You 1