Hello everyone

God of Thunder

Hi everyone. Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to share a find. I was searching for knappable material along a river in a limestone rich area of central Pa and I found this. It seems to be limestone or chert with tiny teeth or strangely shaped quartz crystals. I can’t be sure so I wanted to share and see if anyone has an opinion. The inclusions feel sharp and are pointy unlike any crystals I’ve ever seen. Thanks for taking a look.

C931D490-4A48-47CF-A8CF-19F401B01BE8.jpeg

A4D081C2-582B-4F0D-8981-6F44AD12D539.jpeg

Neat rock! Might be fusilinids.

Can you see any internal structure/layers? Try googling fusilinid and you'll see pics of their cross-section/layering/chambers.

Here's a comparative photo of mine--they are rice grained in size and have been recrystallized and are not showing any layering...I found it in a series of limestone beds in Southern California's, Death Valley. 

1407009799_FusilinidsDeathValley.thumb.jpg.a14d94ab1f8ec12736ad9d4f8b7f6112.jpg

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 2

3 hours ago, Plantguy said:

Can you see any internal structure/layers? Try googling fusilinid and you'll see pics of their cross-section/layering/chambers.

Here's a comparative photo of mine--they are rice grained in size and have been recrystallized and are not showing any layering...I found it in a series of limestone beds in Southern California's, Death Valley. 

Regards, Chris 

Thank you very much for the reply. I will look into that. My find looks almost exactly like your picture. I was thrown off by the curvature and erratic placement of the crystals. I did some more research on the specific area I found the rocks are geologically considered Denovian and Cambrian. Thanks for the picture.

4 hours ago, Plantguy said:

Regards, Chris 

Thank you very much for the reply. I will look into that. My find looks almost exactly like your picture. I was thrown off by the curvature and erratic placement of the crystals. I did some more research on the specific area I found the rocks are geologically considered Denovian and Cambrian. Thanks for the picture.