Mr.Waffles

Hey fossil people... more specifically hey Arizona fossil people. I'm wondering if any of you have run across fossilized horn coral in this state? If you have, tell me about it. I'd love to see examples of what you've found. I"ve found lots of brachiopods and other marine life in Arizona but this is the first time I've found horn coral. The idea that Arizona used to be underwater is fascinating to me.

Theyre not the prettiest specimens... but i found them and they're mine! Lol. For those wondering, I found these near Payson Arizona. Same place I've found byrozoans, brachiopods, and crinoids.

20220702_105234.jpg

20220702_105250.jpg

20220702_105203.jpg

20220702_105727.jpg

20220702_105430.jpg

20220703_135208.jpg

20220701_094500.jpg

Edited by Mr.Waffles
  • Enjoyed 2

I'm not an Arizonan, but a neighbor, from California. Yes, they seem quite common in the Pennsylvanian Naco Formation when I've visited Arizona. 

IMG_5141.thumb.jpg.6ac5f8157ecf0a9d5655395f93f1eae0.jpg

You may have found a Caninia species coral. Hard to tell because no Naco Formation corals have been officially described. Also, it takes an expert to ID corals using thin sections.

Follow the area of red chert fossils in the Naco Formation; you will find at least one other species of horn coral with a columella.

In the Payson area, horn corals, occur in the Fort Apache Limestone, Martin Formation and the Red Wall Limestone.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/110448-apg-fossils-donated-to-the-arizona-museum-of-natural-history/&tab=comments#comment-1220342

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

10 hours ago, Crusty_Crab said:

IMG_5140.thumb.jpg.7bc07a057b6dd3776acee4d0fdab9405.jpg

Howdy neighbor,  that's some pretty cool stuff you got there.  Thanks for sharing!

8 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

You may have found a Caninia species coral. Hard to tell because no Naco Formation corals have been officially described. Also, it takes an expert to ID corals using thin sections.

Follow the area of red chert fossils in the Naco Formation; you will find at least one other species of horn coral with a columella.

In the Payson area, horn corals, occur in the Fort Apache Limestone, Martin Formation and the Red Wall Limestone.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/110448-apg-fossils-donated-to-the-arizona-museum-of-natural-history/&tab=comments#comment-1220342

Thanks for sharing that link. The example you have of the the caninia coral is excellent. Mine isn't quite as pretty but I think you're correct in identifying  it. Something that I've noticed is that in your example, mine,  and even Crusty_Crab's, the coral has is a reddish-orange color. When I searched for examples of "caninia coral", almost every image I found was a white/grey color. 

I wonder if that red color is a natural color of the coral or if it's a result of the fossilization process? There's a lot of limestone and a lot of colorful red chert up here on the Mogollon Rim. I wonder if other minerals have affected the color of this coral after being buried in the ground for a zillion years?

I also have examples of sponges that are red (similar to the one in your link).

Show me your sponges, I’ll try to ID them.

The lower part of the beta member of the Naco Formation has lots of fossils replaced by red chert. Most of the fossils were probably originally calcite. Red chert fossils helps identify the Naco Formation since no other formations in the area have any that I have seen.

See photos of banded agate some of which fills fossils.

3B578813-EE76-4449-B963-E7D552B993F5.jpeg

6D43DB04-3EDD-44C3-BEDD-AD7F1F4A02A1.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.