Type of geodized fossil?

TwoOaks

This was found on one of my recent hikes in a creek bed in south-central Indiana (Monroe County).  Geodes are very common finds as well as crinoid columnals and horn coral but this is the first find of this type.  So I would think it is some type of geodized fossil but would like the experts' opinions.  The first 3 photos (taken in natural sunlight) are "side" views and the 4th shows the "bottom".  What do you guys think?  Thanks in advance for your feedback.

IMG_1887.JPG

IMG_1889.JPG

IMG_1890.JPG

IMG_1892.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

A crinoid calyx, I think. 

The 'bottom' is the top. 

Nice find. :Smiling:

Edited by Tidgy's Dad
  • I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

39 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

A crinoid calyx, I think. 

The 'bottom' is the top. 

Nice find. :Smiling:

I second that emotion. This is a very very cool crinoid calyx

I agree with the others. Geodized crinoid bits are not uncommon in the Borden Formation here in Kentucky. I’ve found more than a few, but nothing as cool as yours. Good find!

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

In Monroe County this is probably from the Sanders Group. Lots of very nice geodes to be found in the creeks there. You can easily fill a 5 gallon bucket in an hour if you find a good spot.